20 May Loss, Grief, Anxiety and Isolation During Pregnancy and Parenthood
Pregnancy, birth and early parenthood, are often a time of family gatherings and celebrations. But now during this unprecedented time, these milestones are being experienced in isolation. This massive departure from how one may have originally envisioned the transition into parenthood can lead to feelings of loss and grief.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with Licensed Social Worker and facilitator of our New Mother’s Support Group here at PYC, Jessica Shapley.
Jessica discusses how many new and expectant parents are feeling a huge sense of loss and grief at this time and offers ways to move through this discomfort. She also discusses managing the feelings of isolation and anxiety during early parenthood.
In this episode:
- Learn a bit about Jessica and the work she does.
- Discussing the sense of grief and loss people are feeling at this time.
- How to cope with losing the vision you may have had of your pregnancy, birth, and postpartum period.
- Ways to manage anxiety during uneasy times.
- As the facilitator of a support group, Jessica shares how the new parents are handling the sense of isolation in early parenthood.
- Ways people can still connect with one another and not feel so isolated.
- Staying more grounded when in a period of transition and uncertainty.
- Tapping into Jessica’s skills as a sleep coach, how handle sleep regression or keeping to a schedule when the whole family is at home.
- Parenting without outside support.
- Creating space for each parent to learn their own parenting skills when there is constant togetherness.
- One tip or piece of advice for new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Jessica’s work. (hint…she leads the support groups at PYC! )
About Jessica Shapley LMSC, CIH, CMT:
Jessica Shapley is a certified social worker and mother of two. She earned a Bachelors degree in Psychology from Boston University and a Masters of Social Work from Columbia University. She is certified in Integral Health Counseling, which she received at the California Institute for Integral Studies. She is certified in massage therapy and is certified in infant massage.
For over ten years Jessica Shapley has helped parents care for their children and themselves. She has practices this help in a wide variety of settings, providing counseling and support services to familes, individuals, and groups. She applies her passion for community organizing by building family support networks for mothers (and fathers) and their babies.
Integrating her experience as a mother and as a social worker, Jessica finds satisfaction in bringing new mothers and families together. Gathering information, forming friendships, and building a network of resources and support (in your neighborhood) will positively impact you, your child’s, and your family’s life.
Jessica lives with her husband and two children in Manhattan.
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
instagram & facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center