Are you working with a doula for your birth? If you are or you’re curious about hiring one, what do you expect from a labor support doula? Today on Yoga| Birth| Babies I welcome back my friend, my mentor, my doula, Terry Richmond. This is her fourth episode, clearly I enjoy talking with her. In today’s episode Terry and I talk about what you should expect from your doula and how the role of doula has changed in recent times.
Terry has been a doula and childbirth educator for over twenty years. She has seen the landscape of birth change, hospital protocols change, and the birth culture. This all has led to a shift in the role and expectations of the doula. We’re going pretty deep into what shifts she’s observed, how she’s adapted, how she’s seen others adapt. It’s a really fun and interesting conversation. I think this is going to benefit both those that are pregnant as well as birth workers. Terry has some really wonderful insight that I’m very excited for you to hear.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Terry and what brought her to birth work.
- How the role of the doula has changed over the last 20 years.
- An overview of the landscape of birth in the early 2000’s and how Terry supported clients then.
- Changes Terry has seen in the birth culture and the role of the doula?
- How Terry’s role as a doula and the work she does has changed over the last 20 years.
- What Terry has seen other doulas doing over the years and how it’s changing.
- What a client should expect from a doula.
- Finding balance as a doula and person.
- Should a doula have a partner?
- How we balance supporting the client and the health of the doula.
- Birth information and social media, what we can do about sorting though all of this information we see in our feeds.
- What is “birth counseling.”
- One final tip/piece of advice Terry would like to offer new or expectant parents.
- Where you can find Terry’s work.
Terry has been a birth doula for more than 20 years and has attended over 900 births in NYC. She was the Childbirth Educator for the Prenatal Yoga Center for 18 years as well. Terry is known for her non-judgemental, compassionate support for all families through all birthing environments and plans. Find her on IG @doulaterry and also www.laborlove.org
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
- If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center