Birth. Rarely does it unravel as planned or expected. The uncertainty and loss of control can be very challenging for many pregnant people. It can bring up fear, make some hold tighter to a preconceived plan, or throw themselves into the hands of science and relinquish any autonomy.
How does one approach such a transformation with the willingness to accept the unknown path that lies ahead?
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with childbirth educator, mythologist, and author of Transformed by Birth, Britta Bushnell. Britta and I have a deep, exciting, and curious conversation about the massive transformation of birth and emergence into parenthood. She beautifully explains the 8 cultural ideals that contemporary society has created around birth. We also discuss the place of fear and pain in birth.
In this episode:
- Learn a bit about Britta, how she got started in birth work and what ultimately drew her to writing this book.
- The cultural messages we get about birth and the need for certainty, science, and control.
- The 8 cultural ideals we’ve created around birth.
- The natural birth movement. Can it set people up for disappointment?
- Self blame and disappointment when birth takes a turn for the unexpected.
- How people can use a birth plan as education instead of a finalized expectation.
- The Greek figures, Artemis and Apollo and how they relate to birth.
- Letting go of an “idealized” image of birth.
- Pain and fear’s role in birth.
- The (very truncated) story of Innana.
- One tip or piece of advice for new or expectant parents.
- Where to find Britta’s work.
Dr. Britta Bushnell (she/her) is a wife and mother, author of Transformed by Birth, veteran childbirth educator, celebrated speaker, mythologist, and specialist in childbirth, relationship, and parenting. For over 20 years, Dr. Bushnell has worked with individuals and couples as they prepare for the life-changing experience of giving birth. Her work with parents has been enriched by her doctoral work in mythology and psychology, her years spent as a co-owner of Birthing From Within, as well as her dedicated study of solution-focused brief therapy, storytelling, and sustaining sexual vibrancy and helping romantic partnerships thrive even during parenthood.
Britta is an engaging teacher, speaker, and presenter. Whether addressing a room of expectant parents, new mothers, or seasoned birth professionals, Britta has a way of captivating and inspiring them all. She has presented at conferences such as DONA International, MANA, and ICEA. Additionally, Britta has been featured on several popular podcasts including Informed Pregnancy, Birthful and Atomic Moms. In 2016, in recognition of her transformative childbirth classes, Britta was awarded “Educator of the Year” by the Southern California Doula Association(DASC).
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
instagram & facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center