15 May Exploring Birthing From Within
If only there was a way to script out your “ideal” birth and be guaranteed the experience unfolds in that exact manner. Unfortunately, that’s impossible. However, many of us try to overly plan and seldom allow ourselves to relinquish the illusion of control over the wild nature of birth. In this episode of Yoga|Birth |Babies, I speak with birth doula and Birthing From Within Mentor, Koyuki Smith.
Koyuki and I talk about the Birthing From Within Method and how grasping at information may lead to disappointment and can not assure you the perfect birth. She talks about surrendering to the unexpected and the importance of leaning into personal fears around the perception of birth. This conversation is sure to spark curiosity and inspiration for pregnant people, birth partners and birth workers. Enjoy!
In this episode:
- Learn about Koyuki and how she got started in the birthing world.
- The background of Pam England and Birthing From Within.
- What makes Birthing From Within different from other approaches to Childbirth Eduction
- What might be the harm of grasping at information in hopes of having “the perfect birth.”
- Finding the balance of supportive information along with deep exploration of one’s perception of birth and birth history
- What is a labyrinth?
- How the labyrinth is used in Birthing From Within method.
- Why the journey out of the labyrinth is just as important as the journey inward.
- How a mentor assists and help the parents navigate deeper into exploring birth perceptions
- Ways parents can do the Birthing From Within work on their own if they don’t have a mentor they can work with?
- One piece of advice or tip for new or expectant parents.
- Where to find Koyuki’s work.
About Koyuki Smith:
Koyuki Smith leads classes, workshops, and trainings for birthing parents and birth professionals in NYC and around the U.S. After spending 8 years teaching in NYC public secondary schools, she entered the birth world in 2008 as a birth doula and babywearing consultant, and has been with Birthing From Within since 2014. She is on the Board of Directors of Birthing From Within International, and she is the editor of the Birthing From Within blog, Through the Labyrinth. She loves to think, write, and teach about the universal experiences of initiation and transformation – and especially how art and literature can serve to illuminate, interrogate, and even guide these experiences. She also enjoys kung fu, clogs, and oysters. Koyuki lives in Harlem with her husband, two sons, and a little dog, too.
Connect with Koyuki: