You’ve probably heard about labor support doulas, the people who help you during your birth, but did you know there are also doulas to help you after your baby is born? They’re called postpartum doulas and they’ll assist you, your family, and your baby.
On today’s episode of Yoga| Birth| Babies I’m speaking with Postpartum Doula, Certified Lactation Counselor, and mother of three Valerie Trumbower all about postpartum doulas. Valerie guides us through the basics of what a postpartum doula is, what kind of services they provide, and how this differs from the support of friends and family. Valerie works primarily as an overnight doula so we also cover what that looks like for different families.
I had a postpartum doula with both of my children, they’re very practical. From showing a new parent or grandparent the basics of giving baby a bath, to assisting with lactation issues, circumcision care, or helping you unpack your birth postpartum doulas are an incredible resource for you and your family. We even cover how to interview postpartum doulas so that you can fill out your postpartum support team. I think you’re going to get a lot out of today’s conversation.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Valerie and what led her to becoming a postpartum doula.
- What a postpartum doula is and what they do.
- Things about the transition into parenthood expectant parents should consider and start to think about before the birth.
- As a postpartum doula some things Valerie typically sees that take new parents by surprise when it comes to life with a newborn.
- Things that Valerie has found universally helpful for new parents in her work with families.
- How the emotional support of working with a postpartum doula differs from the support of family/friends.
- What sleep for a newborn and the parents of a newborn typically looks like.
- The different meanings of a baby’s cry.
- How to interview a postpartum doula and ensure the right match.
- One final tip/piece of advice Valerie would like to offer new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Valerie’s work.
Valerie Trumbower is a DONA Certified Postpartum Doula, a Certified Lactation Counselor and the mother for three, including identical twins. Her online resources, including Expecting 101 and Expecting 101…You’re Adopting™ have helped thousands of parents-to-be prepare for life with a newborn. For all things baby follow her on Instagram, YouTube and Tiktok @newparentsacademy
Connect with Valerie:
Youtube: New Parents Academy (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE0c64Mk9MTZUAvcDg5dLKw)
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
- If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies (Apple) or on Spotify!
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center