Parenting has been a very humbling experience. My children are incredible teachers showing me where I lack patience and need to adjust my behavior in order to help them self regulate and defuse tense moments. I’ve found myself being more REactive to their behavior rather than PROactive which often elevates tantrums, defiance, and frustration. If you can relate to any of this, today’s podcast episode will be a game changer for you!
In this episode of Yoga| Birth|Babies, I speak with Board Certified Behavior Analyst-Doctoral, Dr. Heather Maguire. Heather breaks down why certain behavior patterns happen and offers tools and strategies to help you effectively deal with common parenting challenges. She also talks about finding the balance between a reward system and consequences.
In this episode, you will learn:
- About Heather and what led her to starting Prism behavior and working with kids.
- Heather’s experience with transitioning from pregnancy to parenthood and dealing with a change in identity, new boundaries and new relationships.
- How to navigate the different stages of infanthood and toddlerhood while having clear expectations of behaviors for these different stages.
- Strategies for tantrums.
- Redirecting behaviors
- Structure and schedule at different ages from newborn through grade school.
- Let’s talk time outs! How do you use them for kids of all ages.
- Parenting from a PROactive mode rather than a REactive mode.
- Using a reward system for kids at different ages.
- Finding the balance between rewards and consequences
- How to create an environment of feeling safe and secure in a time of great insecurity and unknown.
- One final tip/piece of advice Heather has for new or expectant parents.
- Where to find Heather’s work.
About Dr. Maguire:
Dr. Heather Maguire has spent over a decade studying behavior and working with children, parents, and educators. She’s the proud mama of two kids, a professor teaching school psychology courses, and the founder of Prism Behavior which helps parents manage challenging behavior with confidence. She connects with parents on her podcast (www.prismbehavior.com/podcast) and social media (www.instagram.com/prismbehavior). Her free parenting guide (www.prismbehavior.com/freeguide) will assist parents who want to learn practical ways to motivate their kiddos. Follow her on instagram @prismbehavior
- Big Beings, Little Body: The New Parenting Paradigm with Carey Contey PhD
- Navigating Toddler Tantrums and Meltdowns with Big Little Feeling Co-Founders Deena Margolin and Kristin Gallant
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center