13 Apr What’s It Like To Heal From A Vaginal Birth? with Morgan Michalowski
As expectant parents we spend so much time preparing for birth and life with a baby, often we forget about the recovery our bodies and minds need after labor. Between our culture and our medical system healing from birth is greatly overlooked and under discussed.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies we turn the attention back to the birth parent. I speak with Morgan Michalowski, a certified nurse midwife, women’s health nurse practitioner, international board certified lactation consultant, doula, and mother all about vaginal birth recovery.
From muscle soreness, to bleeding, tears, prolapse, hormonal changes and nutritional needs Dr Michalowski discusses the range of normal and what our bodies and minds need to heal after birth.
P.S. (Cesarean Parents- I’m releasing the cesarean healing episode next week!)
In this episode:
- Learn a bit about Morgan and what lead her to midwifery and birth work.
- What is in the realm of “normal” for healing from a vaginal birth,
- What someone can expect in terms of their pelvic floor and using the toilet after birth.
- Changes some people may experience with their pelvic floor and pelvic organs.
- Pelvic pain post birth: tailbone, sore hips and when to seek help from a Physical Therapist.
- Healing from an episiotomy or tear.
- Postpartum bleeding, how much, how long, when is it too much?
- Why does it feel like I just ran a marathon? The aches and pains some may feel after birth.
- The post birth adrenaline high and the big drop that comes soon after.
- Recommendations for nourishing the mind and body after birth.
- Prep work and suggestions Morgan offers her clients leading up to their birth.
- Finding a balance between moving, getting your blood flowing and over doing reemerging into the world.
- A tip/piece of advice Morgan has for new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Morgan’s work.
Support Our Sponsors:
- Boober: Looking for a lactation support, birth doulas, mental health therapists, and postpartum doulas. Use the code PYC to get 10% off your first service at www.getboober.com
- Prenatal Yoga Center: YBB podcast listeners- join Deb for class! Take $10 off an 8 class or One Month Unlimited yoga class package with the code ybb10 Get your package here!
Morgan Michalowski is a certified nurse midwife, women’s health nurse practitioner, international board certified lactation consultant, doula, mother, and the founder of Gravida, a postpartum and return to work program. Morgan has more than a decade of experience working with new moms. Morgan currently lives in Chicago with her husband and daughter.
Connect with Morgan:
- IG: @Postpartum_Midwife
- FB: https://www.facebook.com/gravidamom
- Website: www.gravidamom.com & postpartum blog
Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center
*Join Deb for a yoga class, register here and use code ybb10 for $10 off an 8 Class or One Month Unlimited package!*