Did you know that between one in four to one in six people in the perinatal world experience urinary leakage also known as incontinence? It’s speculated to be much more common as these numbers are just from patients reporting their symptoms. Many people assume that after having a baby, they’re going to pee a little when they sneeze, laugh, or go for a run. However, while this experience is common, this is not a normal function of the body. So many people just live with these symptoms that alter the quality of their life, but they don’t have to.
In today’s episode of Yoga| Birth| Babies, I’d like to offer you some solutions to this problem. I brought on my friend Marianne Ryan PT OSC as the guest today. If you follow Prenatal Yoga Center on instagram you’ve likely seen many of our collaborative reels and instagram lives. Marianne is a wealth of knowledge. She’s a physical therapist and board certified orthopedic clinical specialist practicing just a few doors down from my studio here in NYC. Marianne is also the author of the bestselling book Baby Bod.
Marianne and I talk about the different types of incontinence, the role of kegels, how to resolve some of the issues and things that can make incontinence worse, and what a visit with a Pelvic Floor PT is like. it’s a really great conversation. Please know that if you’re having any sort of leakage, you deserve to live a better life than that. Enjoy this conversation.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Marianne and what led her to pelvic floor health as a focus of her work.
- What urine incontinence is and how prevalent it is.
- The different types of incontinence.
- Some of the causes for urinary incontinence .
- Ways for people to work on their incontinence issues.
- Does incontinence go away on its own after pregnancy or in time?
- The role Kegels play in incontinence.
- Signs and symptoms of an overly tight pelvic floor.
- Pelvic congestion
- How a pelvic floor PT visit works.
- One final tip/ piece of advice Marianne would like to offer new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Marianne’s work.
MARIANNE RYAN PT, OCS is a physical therapist and board-certified orthopedic clinical specialist. She is the owner and Clinical Director of Marianne Ryan Physical Therapy in New York City and the award winning author of the number one bestselling book, Baby Bod – Turn Flab to Fab in 12 Weeks Flat. A much sought-after media guest, Marianne has appeared on dozens of national TV and radio shows, and has also been featured in Red Book, Fitness Magazine, USA Today, Shape Magazine and the Wall Street Journal. To receive a free preview of her book, go to BabyBodBook.com. View Ted x Talk: What Your Momma Never Told You About Childbirth.
Connect with Marianne:
Facebook: Marianne Ryan Physical Therapy Baby Bod
- Get the most out of each episode by checking out the show notes with links, resources and other related podcasts at: prenatalyogacenter.com
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
- If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies (Apple) or on Spotify!
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center