04 Nov Community Birth Story: Pregnancy As A Queer Person and Woman of Color
When Catalina reached out to share her birth story, I was struck by the powerful words she used to describe her birth, “I was able to make empowered decisions without shame.” Immediately, I knew there was a story to explore and wanted her as a guest on the podcast. With no time wasted, Catalina responded that as a woman of color and in a same-sex relationship, she loves sharing her story of both how she got pregnant and about her amazing pregnancy and birth.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, new parent, Catalina Restrepo, shares her story. She explains that even though we, as a society, have “advanced” so much, people are still so puzzled about same sex couples having children.
In this episode:
- Learn a bit about Catalina.
- Her process of finding a donor.
- Moving through the maternity system as a woman of color.
- Biases she faced as a queer person.
- Catalina’s pregnancy.
- Embracing the togetherness of quarantine.
- Her birth story.
- Handling a long pushing stage.
- What surprised Catalina most about the whole experience – pregnancy, birth and postpartum.
- Her postpartum experience.
- A tip/piece of advise Catalina has for new or expectant parents.
About Catalina Restrepo:
Catalina Restrepo is a high school teacher at White Plains High School in Westchester county, where she teaches Spanish Film and Spanish Language Arts. She is also a SEED leader/facilitator (Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity) in her district. She is passionate about social justice, yoga, languages and loves hiking and traveling. She is a new mom to her son Octavio and is loving every minute of the journey.
Support Our Sponsors:
- I finally found the best clean products to help to stay healthy and maintain my glow! Orgain Collagen Peptides Powder: For Yoga | Birth | Babies community, get 20% off your first order PLUS extra savings when you subscribe. https://tryorgain.com/YBB/
- If want you to start living a happier life today. get 10% off your first month by visiting betterhelp.com/ybb Join over 1 minion people taking charge of their mental health.
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center