How much time have you put into learning about a cesarean birth? What are factors that play a role in having a cesarean birth or way to decrease the chances of a cesarean birth?
With the national average for cesarean rates hovers around 30%, time spent on understanding cesareans births may serve to be very valuable.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with board-certified OB-GYN and Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at WashU School of Medicine, Dr. Marta Perez. Marta covers the gamut about everything from preparing for a scheduled cesarean to understanding the difference between an emergency cesarean and an unplanned cesarean. Marta also discusses the importance of finding closure in understanding why an unplanned cesarean occurred.
In this episode:
- Learn a bit about Marta and what brought her to the birth field as an OB/GYN.
- Reasons someone may be discouraged from a trial of labor and vaginal birth.
- Top tips and advice for preparing for a scheduled cesarean birth.
- Mentally preparing for the possibilities of an unscheduled cesarean birth.
- The difference between an emergency cesarean and an unplanned cesarean.
- How to talk to your Obstetrician about a “gentle” cesarean if it is not an emergency situation.
- Factors that play a role in the US’s high cesarean rate.
- Ways pregnant people can avoid a cesarean birth.
- Discussing the decision to have a cesarean with your care provider can help with closure, feelings of failure and build confidence in one’s body.
- Risks associated with a cesarean.
- Tips for successful breastfeeding after a cesarean.
- Healing after a cesarean.
- Warning signs postpartum when healing from a cesarean.
- One tip or piece of advice for new and expecting parents.
- Where to find Marta’s work
About Dr. Perez
Dr. Marta Perez is a board certified OB-GYN and Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at WashU School of Medicine in St. Louis, MO. She is passionate about reproductive health and access, patient-centered care, and provider-patient communication. This has led her to develop a public, educational instagram account where all people can find real, evidenced based information about reproductive healthcare, especially contraception, menstruation, pregnancy, and postpartum. In her free time she enjoys running, yoga, cooking, and spending time with her husband and adopted dog Lucy.
Connect with Dr. Perez:
- ACOG: Safe Prevention of the Primary Cesarean Delivery (link)
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
Support Our Sponsors:
- I finally found the best clean products to help to stay healthy and maintain my glow! Orgain Collagen Peptides Powder: For Yoga | Birth | Babies community, get 20% off your first order PLUS extra savings when you subscribe. https://tryorgain.com/YBB/
- If want you to start living a happier life today. get 10% off your first month by visiting betterhelp.com/ybb Join over 1 minion people taking charge of their mental health.
- Sick of planning new meals each night? Let Green Chef do the meal planning, grocery shopping, and most of the prep for you week after week Use my code ybb80 to get $80 off your first month plus free shipping on your first box! Go to greenchef.com/YBB80 to redeem and for more details. greenchef.com/YBB80
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center