Did you know there are 90,000 chemicals that we are surrounded by, on a daily basis, that may impact your health, pregnancy and baby? Many of these chemicals are commonly used in beauty products, house cleaning items, and even the clothes we wear.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with board certified rheumatologist, integrative medicine specialist, and environmental health expert Dr. Aly Cohen about environmental health and pregnancy. Dr. Cohen talks about the importance of considering the impact of endocrine disrupting chemicals on the normal function of hormones and how people can make choices to avoid them. She also offers very solid advice on foods and personal care products to avoid will pregnant and breastfeeding.
In this episode:
- The story of Truxton and how that led Dr. Cohen down the path to environmental health.
- Defining environmental health and why it’s important.
- Endocrine disrupting chemicals that can interfere with the normal functioning of hormones.
- What are endocrine disrupting chemicals?
- Where these chemical commonly found.
- How these chemicals impact pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- How to avoid them.
- Food, personal care produces and other suggestions to avoid while pregnant and breastfeeding.
- Caring for your kids! What bottles, sippy cups, thermoses, bowls etc are safe?
- Toys! Do they need to be wooden and organic? What to look for when making decision on what toys to give your children.
- Changs to help your home become more environmentally healthy.
- The app EWG
- One tip/piece of advise Aly has for new and expectant parents.
- Where to find Aly’s work.
About Dr. Aly Cohen
Dr. Aly Cohen is a board certified rheumatologist and integrative medicine specialist, as well as an environmental health expert in Princeton, New Jersey. She has collaborated with the Environmental Working Group, Cancer Schmancer, and other disease- prevention organizations, and is coeditor of the textbook, Integrative Environmental Medicine, part of the Oxford University Press Weil Integrative Medicine Library. In 2015, she created TheSmartHuman.com to share environmental health, disease prevention, and wellness information with the public. She lectures nationally on environmental health topics for elementary/ high schools, colleges/ universities, medical schools, and physician- training programs, and she is a regular expert guest for television, print, and podcasts. In 2015 she received the NJ Healthcare Heroes Award in Education for The Smart Human educational platform and she was awarded the 2016 Burton L. Eichler Award for humanitarianism.
Dr. Cohen is working to educate and empower the next generation to make safer, smarter lifestyle choices through the creation of environmental health and prevention curricula for schools nationally. Her TEDx talk, “How to Protect Your Kids from Toxic Chemicals” can be found on YouTube, and you can follow her health and wellness tips and recommendations on Facebook at The Smart Human, Twitter, and Instagram: @thesmarthuman. Sign up for The Smart Human newsletter, read her latest posts at TheSmartHuman.com, and listen to her podcast The Smart Human.
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
Support Our Sponsors:
- I finally found the best clean products to help to stay healthy and maintain my glow! Orgain Collagen Peptides Powder: For Yoga | Birth | Babies community, get 20% off your first order PLUS extra savings when you subscribe. https://tryorgain.com/YBB/
- If want you to start living a happier life today. get 10% off your first month by visiting betterhelp.com/ybb Join over 1 minion people taking charge of their mental health.
- Sick of planning new meals each night? Let Green Chef do the meal planning, grocery shopping, and most of the prep for you week after week Use my code ybb80 to get $80 off your first month plus free shipping on your first box! Go to greenchef.com/YBB80 to redeem and for more details. greenchef.com/YBB80
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center