If you’ve been listening to the podcast for a bit, you likely know that something I’m incredibly passionate about is optimal fetal positioning. In part it’s because of my own experiences with birth going from a very long first birth to a much more efficient second birth. When a baby is better aligned in the body, birth can be more efficient. So how do we set ourselves and our babies up for this more optimal positioning and a more efficient labor? Well there are a few things one can do, today we’re going to dive into something I recently learned about called Gilligan’s Guide.
On today’s episode of Yoga| Birth| Babies I’m speaking with Ann Gilligan, creator of Gilligan’s Guide and a labor and delivery nurse (as well as prenatal yoga teacher) with 33 years experience of working in delivery rooms. Ann explains what malposition is and how it affects birth flow. We go into why more babies are presenting in incorrect positions (ROT) these days and how to help get these baby’s into a more optimal position. We also have a great discussion on inversion practices during pregnancy and Ann’s clinical reasoning as to why many inversions are something she leaves out of a prenatal yoga practice. I think you’re going to get a lot out of this conversation, I’m so excited for you to hear it!
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Anne and how she got into birth work.
- Malposition and how it affects birth flow.
- How Anne is experiencing fetal positioning being accepted in the medical community.
- The cardinal movements a baby will take on its journey through the pelvis.
- Reasons that more babies are presenting ROT than they did in the past.
- Techniques and tools to resolve this malpositioning.
- Gilligan’s guide, what it entails and how it differs from Spinning Babies.
- Tools one can use during labor if they are noticing birth is stalling.
- Why inversions are not included in Giligan’s guide.
- Course correcting birth.
- Risks associated with cesarean births.
- One final tip/piece of advice Ann would like to offer new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Ann’s work.
Ann is a labor and delivery nurse with 33 years experience. She’s also a Legal Nurse Consultant, Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner, Prenatal Yoga Teacher, and Proprietor of Gilligan’s Guide. She teaches providers, nurses, doulas, and pregnant people how to prevent, identify and rotate a fetus in utero using Gilligan’s Guide.
Connect with Ann:
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
- If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies (Apple) or on Spotify!
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center