Today we’re talking about one of my all time favorite hobbies, sleep! Sleep (or lack thereof) is a very hot topic among new parents. Recently in one of my Postnatal Yoga classes a mom shared about her experience as the only parent who could successfully soothe her baby to sleep. This was leaving her feeling incredibly burnt out and exhausted. Her sentiment was shared by many members of the community.
On this episode of Yoga|Birth| Babies I’m speaking with Sarah Skiles, pediatric sleep consultant, doula, and advanced newborn care specialist. Sarah’s personal experience with spiraling health and postpartum mood disorders due to sleep deprivation is her driving force behind the passionate way she serves, supports, and guides new parents. Sarah shares tools to help your family build healthy sleep habits from birth, as well as what new parents should prepare to expect and for those with toddler’s Sarah has you covered too! I couldn’t be more excited to share this episode with all of you. If you’re preparing for a newborn or you have a child with sleep issues, or you just want to set really healthy sleep habits from the beginning you’re going to get a lot out of this conversation.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Sarah and what led her down the path as a sleep consultant and newborn care specialist.
- Setting expectations of what sleep looks like for a newborn and how long parents should expect an average newborn sleep at night.
- What sleep training is and isn’t.
- Ways to build healthy sleep habits.
- An example of a healthy night time, sleep routine.
- Sleep regression when to expect it and why, and how to get a baby back into a sleep routine.
- How much fluidity can be in a baby’s schedule schedule.
- Working on a nap schedule with a second child since the older child’s schedule may conflict with the baby’s nap schedule.
- Organizing a sleep routine as your child grows older (especially if they never had very consistent sleep before).
- One final tip/piece of advice Sarh would like to offer new or expectant parents.
- Where you can find Sarah’s work.
Sara Skiles is a Certified Pediatric Sleep Consultant, Certified Doula, Advanced Newborn Care Specialist, and a mom of two amazing boys. Ever since she was a young girl, she knew taking care of babies and helping tired parents was an important role in the world. She got her first babysitting jobs at the age of 12 and even started a babysitting club (guess what my favorite books were?!). She became a Certified Doula in 2013 and jumped right into serving parents as their support and comfort during childbirth. It wasn’t too long before it became clear that the birth, although an incredibly important event, was just a drop in the bucket of the amount of support and guidance that new parents really needed to get through unscathed!
Sara’s personal experience with spiraling health and postpartum mood disorders due to sleep deprivation is the driving force behind the passionate way that she serves, supports, and guides new parents. Our little ones are biologically wired to sleep, and we can allow them the ability to do that if we just know how. Sara believes it is not only possible, but 100% within reach, to have a child and also get enough sleep to stay healthy and be the parent, spouse, friend, etc. that you desire to be.
Connect with Sarah:
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
- If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies (Apple) or on Spotify!
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center