Did you know that the number of babies born to first time parents in the US who are over 35 has been steadily increasing? I see countless parents in the PYC community (including myself) have their first child over 35. So why have we heard that it’s difficult and more dangerous to conceive after 35? What happens (or doesn’t happen) at 35 to the body and how might this affect your pregnancy and birth?
To answer this question I invited Dr. Nicole Rankins back to Yoga|Birth |Babies. This is my third episode with Dr. Rankins. She’s an incredible guest. As an OB/GYN she’s helped over 1,500 babies into the world. She also has an amazing podcast All About Pregnancy & Birth that I turn to for grounded scientific information that feels like it’s coming from a dear friend.
In today’s episode Dr. Nicole and I talk about the risks and benefits of having babies over 35. We talk about fertility, how care may or may not be different for those over 35, and how managed or not managed your birth may need to be. Dr. Nicole dispels some huge myths. For those of you concerned about pregnancy over 35 this episode will calm and soothe your mind.
In this episode you will learn:
- Lean about Dr. Nicole and what led her to becoming an OB/GYN.
- Factors that are contributing to the increased age of first time parents.
- Does being 35 make your pregnancy innately high risk?
- Does it become more difficult to get pregnant and have a healthy baby after 35?
- Fertility after 35.
- Risk factors of having a baby after 35.
- Preparing your body after 35 if you are about to or trying to conceive.
- How the prenatal care of a parent over 35 differs from someone younger than 35.
- How the management of labor and birth differ for someone over 35.
- The correlation between age, inductions, and cesarean births.
- The benefits are of having babies older.
- One final tip/piece of advice Dr. Nicole would like to offer new or expectant parents.
- Where you can find Dr. Nicole’s work.
About Dr. Nicole:
Dr. Nicole is a Duke University-trained, board-certified, practicing OB/GYN and mom of two who empowers first-time moms to have the beautiful birth experience they deserve. Over her 20 year career, she’s helped more than 1,000 babies into this world, and is a proud HBCU grad (Spelman College & North Carolina A&T State University).
Her popular podcast, All About Pregnancy & Birth, is a top 50 parenting podcast with over 1.5 million downloads. As an interviewer and sought-after guest, Dr. Nicole has sat down with leading experts and celebrities such as Tracee Ellis Ross, Peloton Instructor Dr. Chelsea Jackson Roberts, and Samantha Busch, wife of NASCAR driver Kyle Busch. She regularly shares holistic, evidence-based pregnancy and birth information with her community of 20K+ on Instagram and through her online classes, Make A Birth Plan The RIGHT Way and The Birth Preparation Course.
When she’s not talking all things pregnancy, Dr. Nicole enjoys spending time with her husband Falcon and their 2 children, and doing yoga with Chelsea and Aditi or hitting the tread with Kirsten on Peloton.
Connect with Dr. Nicole:
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
- If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies (Apple) or on Spotify!
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center