Can you have a child and a life?
That question is answered by this week’s guest, Ericka Sóuter, journalist and author of the book, How to Have a Kid and Life: A Survival Guide.
In this week’s episode of Yoga| Birth|Babies, Ericka lays out what it means to continue to escalate in one’s career while still being present as a parent. She also gives solid advice on the importance of boundaries and how to set them as well as finding personal space in your life. This is a must listen to episode for all parents who seek balance in their lives.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn a bit about Ericka and what inspired her book How to Have a Kid and Life: A Survival Guide.
- Ericka’s personal experience raising her kids.
- Advice for keeping and even escalating one’s career while still trying to be a present parent and not miss a lot of upbringing of one’s child.
- Creating boundaries around personal down time in relationship to a job.
- Setting boundaries around personal space with kids! How not to have your body feel like a juggle gym for your child.
- Having a reliable village of support for both stay at home parents and working parents.
- Making “mom friends” as a working parents.
- How to stay connected to your friends without kids.
- After hours of interviewing therapists and researchers, and a deep dive into the latest studies on happiness, self-care, and parenthood, Ericka shares what she found most interesting.
- Tips for getting a partner more engaged and on the same page.
- Top tips and strategies to feel a little more balanced.
- Ericka shares some stories from the various parent interviews she conducted for her book.
- One final tip/piece of advice Ericka offers new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Ericka’s work.
Support Our Sponsors:
- Somfy: Learn more about Somfy powered motorized window coverings, or connect with a Somfy dealer in your area to get a customized quote for your home by visiting somfysystems.com/podcast.
- Osea: Try OSEA risk-free for 30 days and get free shipping on orders over $50. They even send free samples with every order! Get 10% off your first order with my promo code YBB at OSEAmalibu.com
About Ericka Sóuter:
Ericka Sóuter has over 20 years of journalism experience and is a nationally recognized voice in parenting news and parenting advice. A frequent contributor on Good Morning America and other national broadcast outlets, it’s her job to speak to parents across the country to stay on top of the issues, controversies, and trends most affecting families today. She is author of the upcoming book, How to Have a Kid and Life: A Survival Guide.
Her work appears on the Bump, What to Expect, CafeMom, and Mom.com, all high-traffic parenting sites that reach millions of moms each month. Ms. Sóuter’s writing has also been featured in People magazine, Us Weekly, Essence, Cosmopolitan, Self and WebMD. She received her bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University and a master’s degree from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
A native of Ann Arbor, Michigan, she currently lives in New York City with her husband Caleb and her sons Lex and Aidan.
Connect with Ericka:
- Website: ErickaSouter.com
- Instagram: @erickasouter
- Get the Book, Click HERE
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
instagram & facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center