If you’re a parent, or simply have been around children, you know the how hard it can be to stay calm when a child is whining. I’m almost 8 years into parenthood and still, I find myself hungrily looking for expert advice on this issue! In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with Clinical Psychologist and founding editor of AhaParenting.com, Dr. Laura Markham.
Dr. Laura breaks down many of the reason why children whine and “get sassy” and offers solid tools for how to best relate to your child during this uncomfortable and (let’s face it- sometimes infuriating!) time. For parents of children of all ages, this episode has amazing takeaways that will help defuse challenging moments. (P. S. I’ve already used some of these tactics and they REALLY work!)
In this episode:
- Learn about Dr. Laura’s work and how she found her way to working with children.
- How to talk to your child so they listen.
- What can be expected developmentally for children 2-5 years old in terms of behavior and listening?
- Getting out the door without a fight!
- What tactics or tools can a parent implore when a tantrum is brewing
- Why children whine.
- What parents can do to stop the whining
- Tactics other then share will and caving to the child to handle a whining situation
- Breaking the whining/give into child cycle
- What to do when your child is getting “sassy” with you.
- Handling discipline and “consequences” with young children.
- Where you can find Dr. Laura’s work.
Connect with Dr. Laura:
Dr. Laura is the author of three books:
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How To Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Siblings: How to Stop the Fighting and Raise Friends for Life
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids Workbook
About Dr. Laura:
Dr. Laura Markham is the author of 3 books and has a very popular online parenting course that runs three times a year. The next course will take place in Fall 2019, with registration opening in July. More information on that can be found here: https://www.ahaparenting.com/peaceful-parenting-course
Dr. Laura Markham creates Aha! moments for parents of kids from babies through teens. She trained as a Clinical Psychologist at Columbia University, but she’s also a mom, so she understands kids — and parents! And she translates proven science into the practical solutions you need for the family life you want.
The founding editor of AhaParenting.com, Dr. Laura Markham also serves as a parenting expert for many websites. She makes frequent TV and radio appearances and has been interviewed for thousands of articles by publications as diverse as The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Real Simple, Newsday, Men’s Health, Redbook and Parents Magazine. Over 140,000 parents subscribe to her weekly email.
Dr. Laura Markham’s relationship-based parenting model, which she calls Peaceful Parenting, has helped thousands of families across the U.S. and Canada find compassionate, common-sense solutions to everything from separation anxiety and sleep problems to sass talk and cell phones. She lives in Brooklyn, New York and is the proud parent of two terrific young adults who were raised with Peaceful Parenting.