We all have certain character traits that define our nature and help us predict how we will respond in different situations. When it comes to birth, understanding these characteristics can allow us to foresee how we may respond to the flow and turns of labor. These insights can help in preparing the kind of support you desire in labor.
In this episode of Yoga| Birth|Babies, I speak with certified childbirth educators, doulas and Enneagram enthusiast, Cortney Clegg and Stephanie King. Cortney and Stephanie break down the 9 different personality Enneagram types. We discuss how each of the different types require different considerations and support when it comes to birth. Some Enneagram types are more introverted and may require a quieter, more guarded space while others lean towards being an achiever and may be best served from helping them stay more grounded in the moment. With this information, you can communicate your needs with your care provider and birth team.
In this episode you will learn:
- About Cortney & Stephanie, how they both got in to birth work and ended up working together.
- What an Enneagram is.
- A brief description of the different enneagrams.
- Where to start when taking enneagrams into consideration in birth preparation.
- How Cortney and Stephanie explore and break down their approach for the 9 types of enneagrams.
- Why knowing your enneagram can be useful in birth preparation.
- The importance of self exploration and communication with your birth team.
- Suggestions for walking into your birth without knowing your birth team.
- The enneagram switch-a-roo! Cortney and Stephanie share their experiences of when a birth client revealed to be a different enneagram than they may have thought they were.
- One tip/piece of advice Stephanie and Cortney have for new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Stephanie and Cortney’s work!
About Cortney & Stephanie:
Cortney & Stephanie are certified childbirth educators and doulas. They’ve taken all of their personal and professional experience and put it into an incredible online birth course called My Essential Birth. They are also the hosts of The Pregnancy and Birth Made Easy Podcast where they give tons of practical tips and holistic advice for pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. Between the two of them, they have 7 kids with just about every birth experience you can imagine! Steph loves palm trees and Cort loves the mountains. They enjoy homeschooling their kids, running a business together, and encouraging women to believe in themselves.
Connect with Cortney & Stephanie:
- Instagram: @myessentialbirth
- Facebook @myessentialbirth
- Podcast: Pregnancy & Birth Made Easy
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center