27 Feb The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles and Optimize Your Fertility
How amazing is it that the documentary, #Period. End of Sentence, a film about menstruation just won an Academy Award!
For years talking about periods was a closed subject. But now tides are turning and many people consider menstruation the “5th Vital Sign.” Disruptions in one’s cycle can predict potential health issues, give us insight to optimal fertility, and a deeper understanding and appreciation of our own bodies.
In this episode of Yoga | Birth | Babies, I speak with certified Fertility Awareness Educator and Holistic Reproductive Health Practitioner, Lisa Hendrickson-Jack about menstruation, fertility, ovulation. For those who want to better understand their cycles, this podcast is a must!
In this episode:
- What you can tell about your health from a disruption in your cycle.
- The most common health conditions that disrupt conception.
- Why it’s important for women to plan ahead for pregnancy.
- What is fertility awareness, and what are the three main signs of fertility?
- Myth busting about fertility awareness method.
- What is clomid and what are the effects?
- How long does it take to start to predict ovulation?
- Is there such a thing as figuring out the average of ovulation?
- Understanding how to take your temperature for the fertility method.
- How can people successfully use fertility awareness for birth control?
- How effective is breastfeeding as contraception?
- Safe hormonal contraceptives someone can use while breastfeeding.
- Advice for those trying to conceive and for new parents.
- Find Lisa’s work!
Lisa Hendrickson-Jack is a certified Fertility Awareness Educator and Holistic Reproductive Health Practitioner who teaches women to chart their menstrual cycles for natural birth control, conception, and monitoring overall health. In her new book The Fifth Vital Sign, Lisa debunks the myth that regular ovulation is only important when you want children by recognizing the menstrual cycle as a vital sign. Drawing heavily from the current scientific literature, Lisa presents an evidence-based approach to fertility awareness and menstrual cycle optimization. She hosts the Fertility Friday Podcast, a weekly radio show devoted to helping women connect to their fifth vital sign by uncovering the connection between menstrual cycle health, fertility, and overall health.
ABOUT LISA’S BOOK:
The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles and Optimize Your Fertility welcomes you into an unparalleled understanding of the incredible connection between your menstrual cycle and your overall health. With over 1000 research citations, The Fifth Vital Sign presents an evidence-based approach to understanding and tracking your menstrual cycle for birth control, conception, and overall health. Discover why regular ovulation is essential for optimal health, regardless of whether you ever plan to have children. The Fifth Vital Sign offers practical strategies to preserve (and improve) your natural fertility, improve your menstrual cycle health, and optimize your chances of conception.