13 Oct “The Big Let Down” author Kimberly Seals Allers
In this episode of Yoga | Birth | Babies, I speak with journalist and author of the book, The Big Let Down– How Medicine, Big Business and Feminism Undermine Breastfeeding. Kimberly and I discus the role of big pharmaceutical companies and the push for baby formula in doctor’s offices and hospitals and how they undermine a woman’s confidence in her ability to breastfeed. She also reveals shocking information like who really backs research studies and is formula FDA approved?
Discussed in this episode:
- What inspired Kimberley to write this book
- Some of the most surprising facts or experiences she came across will researching and writing this book
- The relationship of growth charts and infant formula.
- What is the subliminal roll of Infant formula in dr offices and hospitals
- The role the pharma campanies with offering free stuff to the doctors and nurses and funded studies to support their product.
- The lack of education OBs and pediatricians receive on breastfeeding
- Marketing to women even before they gave birth and the problems and fear formula companies are creating
- Is baby formula FDA approved?
- Insurance companies covering the cost breast pumps and the opposition that was met along the way to this success
- The disparity in breastfeeding among different racial and socioeconomic groups
- Places women can not find le leche support or baby friendly hospitals and suggestions for resources for these women to turn to
- The power of the celebrity
- Overly sexual message of breasts and the impact on public breastfeeding.
- Where people can find Kimberley and and what she is up to now