There is so much information about supporting breastfeeding right now, particularly on social media. With its current popularity as something “good moms” do formula or bottle feeding parents are left in the dark.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with doctor of perinatal and pediatric nutrition, Dr. Bridget Young about the stigma around formula feeding and how to choose what is best for your baby. Dr. Young shares indications that your baby may be dealing with allergies from breastmilk or formula intolerance and explains the different options for formula. She also offers some of her favorite bottle feeding tips!
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn a bit about why Bridget chose to focus on perinatal and pediatric nutrition.
- Discussing the stigma around formula feeding.
- What Bridget wants people to understand about formula feeding to help them see it is a respectful and healthy option.
- Indications that your baby may be dealing with allergies from breastmilk or formula intolerance.
- Understanding the difference in the many options of formula.
- How to determine what is the right formula for your baby.
- Safe formula prep and storage.
- The best practice for formula fed
- How to do both breast and bottle feed
- Do babies need different formulas as they transition from newborn to infant to toddler?
- Bridget’s favorite bottle feeding tips.
- One final tip/piece of advice Bridget offers new or expectant parents.
- Where to find Bridget’s work!
About Dr. Bridget Young
Dr. Bridget Young (aka Baby Formula Expert) is uniquely qualified to help educate parents about the science behind baby formulas. She has a PhD in Nutrition from Cornell University and bachelor’s degree and early research experience is in molecular biology. Currently, Dr. Young is a research Professor, conducting clinical research studying how nutrition during infancy affects babies’ risk of developing disease later in life. She is also a Certified Lactation Counselor
Dr. Bridget Young helps parents make educated and informed decisions about their baby’s nutrition BY translating the most recent medical research and knowledge into actionable and logistical steps they can take with their own baby to protect and improve their health. She most recently released a self-paced e-course about formula for parents. She likes to call this my “secret sauce!” It holds parents’ hand through my evidence-based process for finding the perfect formula for their unique baby. (Link to the course if you want more details)
Support Our Sponsors:
- Hello Fresh: America’s #1 meal kit! Go to HelloFresh.com/ybb14 and use code ybb14 for up to 14 free meals AND 3 free gifts!
- Everlywell at home lab test is offering a special discount of 20% off an at-home lab test at www.everlywell.com/ybb
- Boober: Looking for a lactation support, birth doulas, mental health therapists, and postpartum doulas. Use the code PYC to get 10% off your first service atwww.getboober.com
Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center