05 Jan Preparing Your Finances for Baby with Amy Brackett CFA
Did you know it will cost a middle-income couple slightly more than $245,000 to raise a child born in 2013 to the age of 18?! On this episode of “Yoga| Birth | Babies,” I speak with financial advisor, Amy Brackett. She and I discuss the daunting task of getting personal finances in order for the transition into parenthood. For anyone who is not already a financial advisor, this podcast will help demystify how much childhood really costs and how to best plan and prepare for it!
In this episode:
- Some of the biggest mistakes new parents make in terms of their finances.
- Planning financial goals post baby: areas new parents should consider and focus on.
- How to pay for childcare: planning and budgeting for the early years before full days of school.
- Is there a rule of thumb for how much to save?
- The best way for a parent or guardian to go about saving for college.
- Planning retirement and college funds a the same time!
- How much to have in an emergency fund.
- Tips for estate planning and wills.
Amy Brackett, CFA, is a Senior Vice President at The Solaris Group, a specialized wealth management and investment consulting firm which manages money for individuals, families and non-profit institutions. Amy is involved in all aspects of the client relationship including asset allocation and manager selection, and is a member of the Solaris Investment Committee.
Amy serves on several Boards and Finance Committees including the Board of Bowery Babes, a group for moms living in downtown NYC.” She also writes articles on personal finance topics relating to families at Savvy-Parents.com.
Amy lives in Manhattan with her husband and two children.