Nobody likes when their child has a melt down. Wouldn’t you like to have a better understanding of what triggers tantrums and how to help your child self regulate instead of self implode?
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with neuroscientist and founder of Curious Neuron, Dr. Cindy Hovington, Ph.D. who shares ways to manage tantrums according to science! She explains what is happening in your child’s brain during a tantrum and offers ideas to help your child emotionally regulate to lessen tantrums. Most importantly, Dr. Hovington offers suggestions for parents to stay calm during a tantrum.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Cindy and what inspired the Curious Neuron.
- Managing tantrums according to science.
- What is happening to a child’s brain during a tantrum.
- What is self regulation?
- Realistic expectations for parents based on different milestones and ages.
- The science of self regulation.
- Why transitions are harder for some kids than others.
- Ways parents can help their child learn to emotionally regulate.
- A parent’s role in their child’s ability to emotionally regulate.
- Suggestions for parents to stay calm during a tantrum (I ask this for my listeners and myself!)
- Post-tantrum, ways a parent can understand what triggered the tantrum as well as help their child recover.
- Red flags when tantrums should be of concern.
- One final tip/piece of advice Dr. Hovington offers new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Dr. Hovington’s work!
Support Our Sponsors:
- Hello Fresh: America’s #1 meal kit! Go to HelloFresh.com/ybb14 and use code ybb14 for up to 14 free meals AND 3 free gifts!
- Boober: Looking for a lactation support, birth doulas, mental health therapists, and postpartum doulas. Use the code PYC to get 10% off your first service atwww.getboober.com
- Green Chef The #1 Meal Kit for Eating Well Go to GreenChef.com/ybb10 and use code ybb10 to get 10 Free Meals including free shipping!
Dr. Cindy Hovington, Ph.D.
Dr. Cindy Hovington, Ph.D. is a mom of 3 kids and the founder of Curious Neuron, a parenting resource that is backed by science. Her goal is to make science accessible and digestible for parents to help them make informed decisions about their child’s development. You can follow Curious Neuron on Instagram @curious_neuron, listen to their podcast, or join their free monthly webinars. You can also purchase their guides & programs or book a consultation here.
Connect with Cindy:
- Instagram @curious_neuron
- The Curious Neuron Podcast is available on most platforms.
- Free monthly family meetings: https://www.curiousneuron.com/familymeetings
For further reading about when to seek help for your child’s tantrums:
- Learn more about working with Cindy: https://www.curiousneuron.com/parentconsultations
Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center