03 Aug How To Help Your Pelvic Floor with Rachel Parrotta, DPT
At PYC we discuss the pelvic floor in every prenatal yoga. We talk about the importance of balance, the need for both support and release in the pelvic floor muscles. But the idea of knowing where exactly one’s own pelvic floor lies in that spectrum of not too engaged and not too relaxed is often a mystery.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth |Babies, doctor of physical therapy, Rachel Parrotta, DPT, helps us put on our detective hat and explore the pelvic floor.
Rachel gives easy to understand indications that may help you figure out what is happening in your own body. If your pelvic floor is in a constant state of engagement, adding more toning can actually make matters worse. That’s why gathering the knowledge to best meet your individual needs is so important. Rachel also shares about her own discovery of her pelvic floor and using vaginal weights!
In this episode you will learn:
- About Rachel and how she came to focus on pelvic floor physical therapy.
- Hear Rachel’s story. Rachel discovered her pelvic floor needed a bit of balancing even with years of knowledge as a pelvic floor PT.
- What is the pelvic floor ? Where are these muscles?
- Indications and clues to explore the state of your own pelvic floor.
- How to engage your pelvic floor.
- How to release your pelvic floor.
- How your breathing pattern and habits can shed some light on the state of your pelvic floor.
- How posture can influence the pelvic floor muscles.
- If someone takes a mirror to look at their own pelvic floor, what are they looking for in terms of engagement and relaxation?
- What it may look like if the muscles are imbalanced.
- What it means to “load” the pelvic floor, how it’s done, and who should be doing it!
- Vaginal weights
- When is it time to ditch the DIY efforts for pelvic floor balancing and see a pelvic floor PT?
- What a pelvic floor physical therapist does with clients.
- One final tip/piece of advice Rachel offers new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Rachel’s work!
About Rachel Parrotta DPT (She/Her):
After a decade of practicing in New York City, Rachel has returned home to provide Pelvic Health PT to the people of Long Island. While practicing in New York City, Rachel worked with a wide array of clients, ranging from business executives and professional actors to young athletes and college students.
Rachel has focused a majority of her career on the specialty of Pelvic Health Physical Therapy. Rachel has over ten years of experience supporting men and women with a wide range of pelvic pain conditions, as well as supporting people through all phases of conception, pregnancy, post-partum and menopause.
Rachel believes that the role of a Physical Therapist is to empower clients with the most effective tools and information in order to help clients reach their goals. Rachel strongly believes that the power of healing lies in the hands of the client, with the Physical Therapist as the trusted guide.
Rachel lives on Long Island with her husband and two sons. Rachel loves to explore the outdoors when possible, with hiking and skiing as favorite past-times.
Connect with Rachel:
Support Our Sponsors:
- Go to GreenChef.com/ybb100 and use code ybb100 to get $100 off including free shipping!
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center