Birth has so many unknowns including not fully knowing the scenario and care provider you will be encountering upon entering a hospital or birth center. Common situations are bound to arise that may derail the laboring person’s birth flow/physiology. It is important to have tools to help combat this predicament.
In this episode of Yoga | Birth | Babies, I speak with certified Advanced Birth Doula (DONA International), a postpartum educator, a healthy sleep consultant and eco-maternity consultant, and host of the Birthful Podcast, Adriana Lozada. She and I enjoy a lively and informative conversation about how to help empower the birthing person, bring ownership to the them and help break the cycle of looking for external validations for a process that is happening inside them.
In this episode we discuss:
- Learn a bit about Adriana and how she made her way into he birthing world.
- What does it mean to honor your “birth flow” or physiology.
- Suggestions to help the birthing person go internal and not focus on what is happening around them such as extraneous staff in the room, sounds of the monitors?
- Suggestions for what to do with disappointing vaginal exams.
- How might a birthing person handle the possibility of facing induction?
- Strategies to use when sensing there is a schedule to labor in both the first and second stage?
- Suggestions for working with a long, slow labor.
- How might the laboring person or the birth posse handle when a crisis of confidence arises for the laboring person?
- How a birthing person have ownership of their second stage of labor if they are meeting resistance with exploring a variety of pushing positions.
- What the birth person’s posse do to help assure previously discussed birth preferences will be respected if they encounter a care provider they were not expecting.
- Using a code word to help clarify communication with the birth posse.
- Adriana’s “go to” coping skill many of your clients respond to that can help in a variety of situations?
- Final tips for navigating the the ever changing landscape of labor and birth
- Where you can people find Adriana’s work.
Adriana Lozada’s background is multi-layered and multi-cultural. A former print and online editor from Venezuela, the birth of her daughter sparked her passion for being a birth advocate, leading her to open Birthful: a company that helps new and expectant parents take on whatever maternity sends their way.
She is a certified Advanced Birth Doula (DONA International), a postpartum educator, a healthy sleep consultant and eco-maternity consultant. Adriana is also the host of the Birthful Podcast, where she talks to amazing, knowledgeable, and passionate birth professionals every week, to help new and expectant parents inform their intuition, so they can have more rewarding pregnancy, birth, and postpartum experiences.
Connect with Adriana:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @birthful
- Instagram: @adrianika
- Rethinking the Pushing Stage with Whapio from the Birthful Podcast
- Birthing with Confidence with Rhea Dempsey from Yoga | Birth | Babies podcast
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
Support Our Sponsors:
- You deserve to know what’s in your multivitamin. Get 10% off your first 3 moths of Ritual at ritual.com/ybb to start you ritual today!
- Over 85 million people around the world use Calm to take care of their minds and get better sleep. For listeners of Yoga| Birth |Babies, Calm is offering a special limited time promotion of 40% off a Calm Premium subscription at CALM.COM/YBB
- Sick of planning new meals each night? Let Green Chef do the meal planning, grocery shopping, and most of the prep for you week after week. Use my code ybb90 to get $90 off your first month plus free shipping on your first box! Go to greenchef.com/YBB90 to redeem and for more details. greenchef.com/YBB90
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center