31 Oct Dr. George Mussalli of Village Obstetrics
In this episode I speak with the very experienced, compassionate and knowledge, NYC obstetrician Dr. George Mussalli.
The reason I sought out Dr Mussalli for this podcast was for listeners to hear an OB speak about interventions, care practices, and maternal age among some other topics. Many women only get to speak with their care provider for a very short time during office visits and often leave not fully understanding what they may encounter during their birth or even simply how the current birth trends may directly affect their birth.
In this episode:
- An explanation of the two different types of care, traditional obstetrics compared to the midwifery model of care
- How Village OB (who is well known for practicing in more of the midwifery model of care) is able to practice their philosophy of birth within the confines of a traditional hospital like Mt Sinai.
- The typical level of intervention seen on the Labor and Delivery floor and if all the intervention is necessary.
- Suggestions for a woman who wants to avoid unnecessary interventions or no interventions as all
- Birth over the age of 35
- What should a woman expect from her care provider?
- VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) – finding the right support from your care provider
- The new Midwifery practice – Village Maternity
About Dr. Mussalli:
Dr. George Mussalli has extensive experience in both hands-on daily care and administrative medicine. He is the former Chairman of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the beloved St. Vincent’s Hospital in Greenwich Village, NYC. Prior to St. Vincent’s, he served as Chief of Obstetrics at North Central Bronx Hospital/Jacobi Medical Center. As his partner Dr. Worth often tells patients “Village Ob is incredibly blessed to have Dr. Mussalli. He is a true rarity – a kind, sensitive, and brilliant high-risk pregnancy doctor who loves to deliver babies and take care of patients day and night.” In the Bronx he oversaw the pregnancy of thousands of women in a community with overwhelming rates of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and preterm birth. Dr. Mussalli did his subspecialty training at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and is board certified in MATERNAL-fetal medicine by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology. A father of four, Dr. Mussalli understands the joys and heartaches of parenthood from both sides of the white coat.
For more information on Dr Mussalli and Village OB and Village Maternity check out: village obstetrics.com
on Facebook: facebook.com/villageobstetrics
on Instagram: @villageobstetrics
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
instagram & facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center