18 Mar Community Birth Story: Strength, Endurance, and Surrender with Hess Kim
What if your birth fell well beyond any preconceived vision of possibility?
What if it took so many twists and turns that even a prolific author would struggle to paint such a surprising story?
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with prenatal yoga teacher, childbirth educator, and labor support doula, Hess Kim. Hess humorously shares the story of her epic birth. As an endurance athlete, she mustered the stamina to move through a challenging labor and found the grace to surrender to unexpected circumstances. Hess’s natural good nature and ease make listening to her story and an absolute delight.
In this episode:
- Learn about Hess and her work in birth and yoga.
- How Hess’s years of work in the birth field influenced her preparation and outlook on her birth
- After attending births and teaching the prenatal population for so long, what surprised Hess that she didn’t expect during labor and birth.
- Loving pregnancy and teaching!
- Hess’s very intense birth story.
- A deep surrender to an unexpected turn of events.
- How Hess’s knowledge and background as a birth worker and prenatal yoga teacher helped or hindered her birth experience, preparation for birth, and postpartum experience.
- How Hess’s athletic background helped her pregnancy and birth.
- A bit about herr transition into motherhood
- A tip for new or expectant parents.
Hess is a certified yoga teacher specializing in prenatal/postnatal, yoga, yoga for backcare, and works with many athletes. She is a senior teacher at the Prenatal Yoga Center, has her Comprehensive Yoga for Backcare and Scoliosis Certification, with Alison West at Yoga Union, and is a Co-op member and teacher at Samamkaya Back Care & Scoliosis Collective.
As a birth worker, Hess is a DONA trained birth and postpartum doula, completed her Midwife Assistant Training with the midwives of The Farm, is a Certified Childbirth Educator (LCCE) trained through both Lamaze and Childbirth Education of Metropolitan NY (CEAMNY), and earned her Certified Lactation Consultant through Healthy Children’s Center for Breastfeeding.
As an endurance athlete, she is an Ambassador of the Empire Triathlon Club and proud sponsor for the New York Cycle Club Women’s Racing Team.
Hess is a native New Yorker, and lives in NYC with her husband, son, and 2 amazing cats.
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
instagram & facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center
Photo Credit https://www.katherinemarivellephotography.com/