29 Apr Community Birth Story: Birthing During a Pandemic
Can you imagine giving birth and entering postpartum in the middle of a pandemic? Candice Baehr faced this exact scenario.
In this episode of Yoga | Birth | Babies, I speak with co-founder of Parenthood Together and Feeding Heroes and mother of two, Candice Baehr about her recent birth experience and the challenges she faced birthing in a busy NYC hospital during the Covid 19 pandemic. Candice shares how she found incredible confidence and courage during her birth and how the hospital staff truly supported her during her labor and brief postpartum stay. In the midst of an unsettling time, let us appreciate how births can still be special.
In this episode:
- Learn a bit about Candice.
- How Candice is doing 3 weeks after the birth of her second child in the middle of a pandemic.
- How Candice is navigating life with a newborn during a pandemic.
- How Candice had to adjust her birth plan and preferences given the circumstances.
- Candice’s experience in an NYC hospital.
- The preparation conversation Candice had with her care provider for birth.
- Suggestions for pregnant people ask to their care provider to assure they have a supportive birth.
- How this experience differed from Candice’s first pregnancy.
- How Candice built confidence for her upcoming birth knowing there would be restriction and less hands on to help.
- Candice’s postpartum experience at the hospital.
- What advice and support she would give to fellow parents facing birth and postpartum during a challenge time.
- Learn about Candice’s company and where people can find her work and fundraiser.
Candice Baehr is the co-founder of Parenthood Together, a community of over 15,000 parents who are passionate about raising their children into healthy & resilient human beings. As a former executive at United Technologies Corporation, Candice’s professional background spans from strategy to business development to operations. After spending most of her life in France, Candice moved to the United States for her work in 2008. She later met her husband, Jeff, studying at New York University, Stern Business School, and is now the lucky mother of a 2-year old boy and a 10-day old baby girl. Candice is an avid member of Prenatal Yoga Center since her first pregnancy.
Candice and her co-founder Jenny created FEEDING HEROES, an initiative supporting healthcare workers in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic. We show our support and bring comfort to the medical staff on the frontlines by delivering meals in partnership with small business restaurants. We ask anyone who can afford it to spare a small amount to support our initiative. 100% of funds raised go to delivering meals to Covid-19 hospital workers: https://donorbox.org/feeding-heroes-by-parenthood-together