28 May Breastfeeding 101 with Tamara Hawkins
In the episode of Yoga | Birth | Babies, I speak with Tamara Hawkins, FNP, RN, IBCLE, LCCE, CHHC, Director of Stork and Cradle. We talk about everything an expectant and new mother needs to know. We cover a wide range of topics from breastfeeding in the first few days of baby’s arrival to what to do during pregnancy to prepare for breastfeeding, and how to find a lactation consultant.
In this episode:
- Tamara’s journey into breastfeeding and childbirth education as a career path.
- How a mother who wants to breastfeed can best set herself up for success.
- Vital information to know before baby arrives.
- Finding support to help build confidence for successful breastfeeding- partner, in laws, parents.
- What the new mother should expect in the first few days
- Discussing some ways a mother can rest assured her baby is getting enough breastmilk.
- Helping mothers who feel they need to stop breastfeeding because they believe they are not producing enough milk.
- Pain and breastfeeding.
- When to ask for help.
- What to look for in a lactation constant.
- Red flags in advice that is given, nipple shields, pillows and support.
- Basic breastfeeding schedule for feeding a baby on demand
- Milestones of breastfeeding, when do the feedings start to space out for the initial every newborn stage?
- Breastfeeding and the working mom. Discussing her pumping schedule
- Advice for women going back to work who still want to exclusively breastfeed
- Tamara’s involvement with the annual NY Family Baby Show.
- Last minute tips.
Tamara Hawkins, FNP, RN, IBCLE, LCCE, CHHC, is the Director of Stork and Cradle here in NYC. She earned her nursing degree at New York University and master’s of nursing degree as a Family Nurse Practitioner at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Tamara began her career in obstetrical nursing and perinatal education in 1999. She then went on to become certified as a labor support specialist, Lamaze childbirth educator, lactation consultant, and a holistic health counselor trained through the Institute of Integrative Nutrition.
Tamara brings her experience having worked at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Mount Sinai Medical Center, NYU-Langone Medical Center, and Elizabeth Seton Childbearing Center. She currently serves as the president to the New York Lactation Consultant Association. An impassionate advocate for birth and breastfeeding equity, Tamara speaks to nation wide audiences and is truly dedicated to helping mothers and families succeed with breastfeeding.
Connect with Tamara:
Tamara’s company Stork & Cradle: https://storkandcradle.com