Today we’re diving into a topic I’m a bit embarrassed we haven’t covered at this point. We’re often talking about a conscious effort for inclusion and yet we haven’t had a podcast conversation about birthing with a disabled body, so we’ll be diving into that today. For those who are disabled there can be certain needs that need to be met. It’s also extremely important to be recognized as an individual and to be able to receive care that treats you like one, not just a blanket policy.
To have this conversation on Yoga| Birth| Babies I’ve invited Lo Nigrosh IBCLC, host of the podcast The Milk Making Minutes, and mom of 2. I’m really excited for you to hear this conversation. While we talk about birthing with a disabled body we also talk about being seen as an individual, looking at your personal circumstances and not just falling into certain categories, recognizing your needs as a parent, your baby’s needs, and checking in on what you need instead of what the system is telling you. So I’m very excited for you to hear this conversation.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Lo and how she got into birth work.
- Lo’s disability and how it impacted her pregnancy and first birth.
- How this experience impacted her postpartum recovery.
- The different approach Lo took with her second birth.
- Lo’s second birth.
- Lo’s postpartum recovery.
- Communicating your needs with your care provider, specifically for those with disabilities.
- Finding the right support to meet your needs in birth.
- One tip/piece of advice Lo would like to offer new or expectant parents.
- Where you can find Lo’s work.
Lo Nigrosh is a mom of two kids ages 9 and 5. She’s a former Paralympian and came to her current passion of lactation care through her own intense struggle to breastfeed her first baby. She hosts the podcast The Milk Making Minutes where she explores breastfeeding struggles and triumphs through the lens of systemic barriers.
Connect with Lo:
- IG @lonigrosh
- Facebook: Lo Dandy Nigrosh
- podcast: The Milk Making Minutes
- Get the most out of each episode by checking out the show notes with links, resources and other related podcasts at: prenatalyogacenter.com
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
- If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies (Apple) or on Spotify!
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center