22 May An Ancient Map For Modern Birth
Welcome to part two of the Birthing From Within focused podcasts. Recently, I embarked on the path to becoming a Birthing From Within Mentor. The process to becoming a mentor is multilayered but starts with a weekend intensive course called Crossing the Threshold. Right after attended the weekend course, I recorded last week’s podcast with Koyuki Smith, one of the weekend mentors. So I thought it only appropriate to pull out of the archives my conversation with the founder and creator of the Birthing From Within Method, Pam England.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with Pam England, author of Birthing From Within and Ancient Map for Modern Birth. This lively conversation covers quite a bit of ground- Pam and I discuss how Birthing From Within was born, how the philosophy and approach differs from more traditional methods and her work with Birth Story Medicine and her latest book, Ancient Map for Modern Birth.
In this episode:
- How the Birthing From Within approach differs from other traditions of childbirth education, methods – specifically when it comes to the idea of self awareness and personal growth as a means to diminish or prevent “stalled labor” or any other complication
- Incorporating multi-sensory and holistic philosophy into Birthing From Within approach.
- The impact of worry, fear, and belief systems around fear, and denial or avoidance of it and it’s impact on birth.
- The new model and belief system behind Ancient Map for Modern Birth.
- How stories and media, both positive and negative impact one’s personal perception of birth and what that will mean for the birthing woman.
- Birth Story Medicine workshops.
About Pam England:
Pam England, visionary, artist, and birth professional, created a profound movement in Birthing From Within. What began as a conversation-changing book has turned into a robust organization that provides workshops, classes, personalized sessions, and doula services worldwide.
Pam lives, writes, and paints in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She is the author of Birthing From Within, The Labyrinth of Birth, and Ancient Map for Modern Birth. She is currently working on her next book, Birth Story Medicine. She also hosts workshops and speaks at conferences on topics such as preventing and healing birth trauma, cesarean birth, storytelling, visualizations, hypnosis and other aspects of mentoring parents during the many life transitions they experience in the childbearing year.