Have you ever looked at an old picture of yourself before kids and thought about how much your life has changed?
Crossing the threshold into parenthood isn’t about simply adjusting to life with a child. It’s a remarkable transformation to one’s personal identity and how you relate to the world around you and within relationships.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with the director and founder of The Root Therapy NYC, Katherine Casey, LCSW about identity outside of parenthood. Kat gives suggestions on preparing for the shift into parenthood and creating clear boundaries.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn a bit about Kat and what led her into her work as a therapist.
- Ways in which new parents lose their sense of identity through the transition into parenthood
- How Kat works with clients who feel disconnect from their former selves
- How couples can get lost in their transition into parenthood
- How Kat works with couples to regain balance, connection to themselves, and their relationship.
- Setting boundaries and expectations before the baby arrives.
- How someone as an individual can prepare for the shift into parenthood ahead of time.
- Coping skills for self-regulation.
- One tip/piece of advice Kat offers new or expectant parents
- Where you can find Kat’s work!
Support Our Sponsors:
- Hello Fresh: America’s #1 meal kit! Go to HelloFresh.com/ybb14 and use code ybb14 for up to 14 free meals AND 3 free gifts!
- Somfy: Learn more about Somfy powered motorized window coverings, or connect with a Somfy dealer in your area to get a customized quote for your home by visiting somfysystems.com/podcast
- Boober: Looking for a lactation support, birth doulas, mental health therapists, and postpartum doulas. Use the code PYC to get 10% off your first service at www.getboober.com
Katherine “Kat” Casey is the Director & Founder of The Root Therapy NYC, a boutique psychotherapy practice specializing in emerging families and the perinatal period of life. Following a career in the performing arts she established herself as a clinical social worker, developing clinical skills to treat addiction, trauma, grief & loss, anxiety, and serious and persistent mental illnesses like bipolar and schizophrenia. Through the provision of individual, couples, and family services and offering donation-based support groups she, and her colleagues, endeavor to help clients feel confident in their abilities, supported by their partnerships, and connected to their chosen community.
Connect with Kat:
- https://linktr.ee/theroottherapynyc ( monthly DONATION BASED healing circles for Birth Trauma and (separately) Pregnancy Loss; low-fee DBT skills groups for children, adolescents, adults, and emerging parents)
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center