21 Aug A Brutal, Amazing, and Magical Birth
What is it like for a birth doula, childbirth educator, and prenatal yoga teacher to experience birth with so much knowledge and experience coloring her lens of labor? Many may think it, with all the preparation and knowledge, it would be smooth sailing. Well, life and birth unfolds in it’s own wild ride no matter who you are and what you bring to the table. In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with certified yoga instructor, birth doula, and childbirth educator, Sage Caprice Abowitt.
Caprice opens up about what she calls her “Brutal, Amazing, and Magical Birth” and how sometimes shifting the mindset from the supporter to the one who needs support may be a challenge. She also honestly talks about her struggles with breastfeeding and the support she was fortunate to have that helped her get past the issues. Caprice is a delight to chat with, I am sure pregnant people, new parents and birth workers will enjoy hearing her story.
In this episode:
- Learn a bit about Caprice.
- Her pregnancy experience.
- Having studied and taught about pregnancy and birth, occurrences that surprised Caprice about pregnancy that she had not expected.
- Caprice’s birth story
- How to balance knowing “too much.”
- Signs there are problems with breastfeeding.
- Having a baby in the NICU?
- Challenges Caprice faced in early parenthood.
- The support Caprice found most helpful during pregnancy and new parenthood
- How being a new parent may or may not effect her teaching?
- One tip or piece of advice Caprice offers new or expectant parents?
- Where to find her work!
Sage Caprice Abowitt is a certified yoga instructor, birth doula, and childbirth educator. A classically trained dancer, she fell in love with yoga after sustaining a back injury and now specializes in kids yoga, pre- and postnatal, and yoga for the pelvic floor. She is a senior teacher at the Prenatal Yoga Center, where she co-leads teacher training in New York City and along the East Coast in addition to directing Mentorship and Continuing Education Programs. She is based in Brooklyn, where she lives with her husband and son.
On instagram: @sagecaprice