It’s not uncommon for partners to feel uncertain, out of place, or even helpless during pregnancy and birth. This can lead to misunderstandings in our relationships, from thinking our partner doesn’t want to be involved or isn’t excited about the baby. More often than not, this isn’ true. What’s true for many partners is that they just aren’t sure what their role is, how they can help, and they often deeply undervalue the importance of their presence.
In today’s episode of Yoga| Birth| Babies we’re going to talk about how partners can help support during pregnancy and birth. To have this conversation, I invited Ben and Jessica Lagrone a husband and wife team and co-founders of Balanced Families. It’s a fantastic conversation. Ben and Jessica give amazing takeaways about how to be involved in pregnancy and the actual birth. We also talk about the feelings of helplessness and fear partners may experience.
You’re going to walk away with solid information and tools so that you and your partner can be prepared mentally and physically for whatever unfolds in your birth.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Ben & Jessica, what inspired them to work in the perinatal field and create Balanced Families.
- Ben’spersonal experience supporting Jessica during her three births.
- Some of the biggest fears partners have surrounding pregnancy and birth.
- Ways a partner can be more involved during pregnancy.
- Ways partners can be more involved in labor and birth.
- What can partners do if they’re feeling helpless during the birth.
- How couples might discuss the dynamics of their relationship in preparation for birth.
- How to prepare for your typical couple roles to change.
- One final tip/piece of advice for new and expectant parents.
- Where you can people find Ben & Jessica’s work
Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
About Jessica & Ben:
Jessica and Ben Lagrone are a husband-wife childbirth education team helping couples feel confident while learning together. After having three kids in five years and experiencing everything from unmedicated birth to an emergency c-section, Jessica was inspired to become a doula and childbirth educator. She then teamed up with Ben, an education expert and dad coach, to develop comprehensive, evidence-based resources truly designed for couples to experience together. They’re passionate about supporting the support team: birth partners. And their courses promote a balanced approach, which means learning about all birth options and weighing their risks and benefits. They live in Fayetteville, Arkansas along with their three little girls.
Connect with Jessica & Ben:
The FREE Mini-Birth Class for Couples: 10 Essentials for Birth & the First Week of Parenthood
The Pregnant Couple Playbook: 40 Ways to Prep for Birth and Baby Together
Breastfeeding Made Simple (co-taught with an IBCLC)
The Newborn Class for Couples (co-taught with a pediatric nurse practitioner)
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center