Weaning either from breast or bottle feeding, can be a very controversial topic. From when you should do it, to how should you do it, many parents are left feeling frustrated, confused, and even bereft. It’s been a popular topic of late at PYC and this podcast comes by request from my students in Postnatal and Baby & Me classes.
I did an extensive search to find my guest for today’s episode of Yoga | Birth| Babies, to discuss weaning today we have Dr. Lilly Hubschman-Shahar registered nurse, neonatal nurse practitioner, IBCLC and Vice President of Nest Collaborative. Not only does she bring years of clinical experience and evidence based information, she also beautifully shares about her personal journey weaning her daughter. Dr. Hubschman-Shahar offers practical tips about weaning, we talk about parent led weaning and child led weaning, what happens if you need to wean abruptly and the difference between a nursing strike and child led weaning. It’s a really great conversation. If you are headed towards weaning or in the process of it or even thinking about it I think this conversation will give you a lot of tools and support.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Lilly and what led her to lactation work.
- The minimum and maximum age recommendations for weaning.
- The differences between parent-led and child-led weaning.
- What to consider when deciding which weaning approach to take.
- The difference between a nursing strike and child-led weaning.
- Considerations if weaning before a year.
- What the process of weaning looks like for most folks.
- What to do when the parent’s decided to wean but the child wants to breastfeed.
- How to not destroy the bedtime routine while weaning.
- Alleviating painful and swollen breasts while weaning.
- Self weaning and when might someone typically see that occur.
- Emotional aspects to consider for both parent and child when weaning.
- How can a parent help their child when parent led weaning.
- One final tip/piece of advice Lilly would like to offer new or expectant parents.
- Where you can find Lilly’s work.
Dr. Lilly Hubschman-Shahar DNP, RN, NNP-BC, IBCLC is the VP of Clinical Services at Nest Collaborative.
At Nest, Lilly is responsible for ensuring the standard of lactation care and establishing Nest’s standard
of excellence through evidence-based practice, family centered, and goal-based care as well as clinical
quality assurance and quality improvement. Lilly is passionate about holistic care, equitable access to
health care, and the promise of a preventive model of lactation care. Lilly has worked in
maternal-child health for the past 14 years as a Neonatal RN and NP, an IBCLC, and through her
healthcare innovation work as a Doctor of Nursing Practice. Her personal mission is to be a leader in the
culture shift that empowers families to make healthy choices. Lilly is also the proud mother of an extraordinary 2.5 year old daughter whose strength and resilience in their breastfeeding journey remains a constant inspiration in her work as an IBCLC.
Connect with Lily:
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
- If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies (Apple) or on Spotify!
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center