Sixty percent of new parents don’t breastfeed for as long as they intended, according to the CDC (Center for Disease Control). The top reason being issues with lactation or latch. It’s easy to understand why people would discontinue without support or solutions for breastfeeding issues.
In this episode of Yoga | Birth | Babies, I speak with International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) and a Certified Specialist in Orofacial Myology (CSOM) Kelly Euperio.
Kelly discusses common breastfeeding challenges that many new parents encounter and solutions to resolve these issues. She also talks about milk supply, what is considered normal, and how much control we have to increase supply if we suspect it’s dropping.
In this episode you will learn:
- About Kelly and what drew her to being an IBCLC.
- Clogged ducts! The best ways (besides crying) to deal with them and why are they getting clogged!
- Cracked and bruised nipples and abrasions: the best methods to help nipples heal.
- Meta honey
- How to know you have mastitis. What should be done if you suspect you have mastitis.
What really helps with milk supply and when you should be concerned.
- Effects on latch because of instrumental birth methods like vacuum or forceps.
- Body work that may help a baby with a challenging latch.
- Tongue tie
- Should latch ever be painful?
- Flat or inverted nipples
- Overall breast care tips for a new parent.
- The importance of a well fitted bra!
- One final tip/piece of advice for new or expectant parents.
- Where to find Kelly and her work!
Kelly Euperio is a Board Certified Lactation Consultant, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) and a Certified Specialist in Orofacial Myology (CSOM). All help her serve breastfeeding dyads in different ways. As an RDN, she is also able to help with diet, supplement, and gut recommendations that many breastfeeding moms and babies need. As a CSOM, she has an extensive knowledge in oral function and relearning to use the tongue and facial muscles after a tongue tie release.
Kelly is passionate about helping families meet their breastfeeding goals. She is a lactation consultant that gets to the bottom of the issue and doesn’t just put a bandaid on it. She also has two kiddos that she breastfed, but not without struggles. She understands what it feels like when you thought it would be easy and it’s not. The lack of help that she received from healthcare professionals during that time is what drives her passion for helping others.
Connect with Kelly:
- Instagram: @kellyibclc
- Website: bvlactation.com
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center