25 Sep Prenatal Weight Shaming
One Wednesday morning, during circle time, a student bravely spoke up about an experience she had at her last prenatal appointment. Her doctor told her she had gained too much weight between visits. The woman left her appointment upset, ashamed and confused about what to do next. Upon hearing, I too was confused and had no answer to give her other than weight gain is not linear and not be so hard on herself.
That conversation inspired this episode of Yoga|Birth |Babies with Jen McLellan. Jen is a certified childbirth educator, published author, speaker, founder of Plus Size Birth and host of the popular Plus Mommy Podcast. Jen shares insight and advise communicating with your care provider about weight and offers evidence based information about assumed health risks for plus size bodies. No matter what size body you live in, this is an important episode to hear.
In this episode:
- Learn a bit about Jen
- What drew Jen to blogging about plus size pregnancy and motherhood
- Jen’s plus size pregnancy and birth experience
- Weight shaming: what to say and do if your care provider is weight shaming you.
- Realistic weight gain expectations and what other factors should be considered beyond simple pounds put on.
- How to have a conversation about weigh gain during pregnancy with your care provider, especially with a history of body image issues.
- Dispelling preconceived ideas and stigmas about big bodied people
- The evidence behind plus size pregnancy assumed health risks.
- Find comfort and confidence in your body regardless of size and shape
- One tip or piece of advice for new or expectant parents
- Find Jen’s work!
Support our Sponsor:
Go to stitchfix.com/KIDS/YBB and get an extra 25% off when you keep everything in your box! And as a bonus, Stitch Fix will waive the $20 styling fee when you use this shows special URL- stitchfix.com/KIDS/YBB
Jen McLellan is a certified childbirth educator, wife, and mother to a
charismatic 9-year-old. She’s the host of the popular Plus Mommy
Podcast, published author, speaker, and founder of Plus Size Birth,
the premier resource for all things plus size pregnancy. With over
five million page views on her blog and a Facebook community of over
178,000, Jen is passionate about plus size pregnancy and navigating
the bumps along the road of motherhood.
- Jen’s Book: My Plus Size Pregnancy Guide
- Interview with Evidence Based Birth