Throughout pregnancy, your hormones are surging. Your estrogen is up 1000 fold, progesterone has increased 10 fold and relaxin is now present. Then you have your baby, the placenta is delivered and your hormones plummet like you are free falling off a mountain top.
This major hormonal shift can create havoc for the new parent’s body and mind. It’s often the missing piece to better understanding the full picture of postpartum recovery.
In this episode of Yoga | Birth | Babies, I speak with Yale-trained MD, midwife, and herbalist, Dr. Aviva Romm. She gives the low down on what is in the normal scope of hormonal rebalancing post baby and when you may want to seek some help. She also talks about how things as simple as sleep and diet can affect your hormonal balance. This podcast is a necessity for anyone heading into the postpartum period or people who are already there and desire clarity of what is happening to their body and mind.
In this episode:
- Learn about Aviva and what propelled her into the field of women’s health.
- Why understanding the hormonal shift can give a clear picture of postpartum recovery.
- What happens to a person’s hormones post birth?
- The difference in the hormonal balance of someone breastfeeding compared to someone who is not.
- What is estrogen dominance?
- The difference between hypo and hyperthyroidism.
- What a hormonal imbalance looks like.
- Understanding the signs or symptoms of a hormonal imbalance since many of them can be reflective of normal postpartum experience?
- How to know when to follow up?
- What can someone do if they have either a hypo or hyperthyroid issues?
- How sleep and diet affect hormonal balance.
- What can be done prenatally to help with the hormonal shift that will happen postpartum?
- Where to find Dr. Romm’s work!
Support Our Sponsors:
- Hello Fresh: America’s #1 meal kit! Go to HelloFresh.com/ybb14 and use code ybb14 for up to 14 free meals AND 3 free gifts!
- Boober: Looking for a lactation support, birth doulas, mental health therapists, and postpartum doulas. Use the code PYC to get 10% off your first service atwww.getboober.com
- Green Chef The #1 Meal Kit for Eating Well Go to GreenChef.com/ybb10 and use code ybb10 to get 10 Free Meals including free shipping!
About Dr. Romm
Dr. Aviva Romm is a midwife, herbalist, and Yale-trained MD, Board Certified in Family Medicine with Obstetrics, who has been bridging the best of traditional medicine with good science for over three decades.
Her focus is on what she calls our total health ecology, utilizing exposome medicine to identify and reverse the root causes of chronic health conditions, particularly hormonal problems in women and common children’s health problems.
She is considered one of the world’s leaders in botanical medicine and is the author of 7 books on natural medicine, including the textbook Botanical Medicine for Women’s Health (Elsevier) and The Adrenal Thyroid Revolution (Harper One). Dr. Romm is the author of the integrative medicine curriculum for the Yale Internal Medicine and Pediatric Residencies, is on numerous scientific advisory and editorial boards, and is a widely sought and highly engaging speaker.
Her online programs for women are wildly popular and successful, helping women take back their health, affordably, and her innovative professional programs are educating the next generation of health practitioners. Her non-profit organization, DharmaMoms, provides funding for midwifery education and salaries in high risk obstetric, low resource communities.
Dr. Romm lives and practices medicine in the Berkshires and New York City. You can learn how to study with Aviva here: https://avivaromm.com/online-courses/
Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center