10 Oct Gestational Diabetes
According to the Center of Disease Control. gestational diabetes affects up to 10% of pregnancies each year. For those diagnosed with this endocrine disorder, their pregnancy will be much monitored and take a different path then their counter parts. In this episode of Yoga | Birth | Babies, I speak with registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author, Lily Nichols.
Lily clearly and effectively breakdown the risks, symptoms and management of gestational diabetes. For those who are working to manage their gestational diabetes or simply want to learn more about it, this episode is for you!
In this episode:
- Learn a bit about Lily and how she got into having a strong focus on diabetes nutrition
- What is gestational diabetes and how it differ from type 1 or 2 diabetes
- What puts someone more at risk for developing gestational diabetes and preventive measures someone can take
- Signs and symptoms of gestational diabetes
- How gestational diabetes diagnosed
- To get tested or not to get tested, that is the question!
- How gestational diabetes affect the pregnant person and baby
- What happens if blood sugar is too high and goes uncontrolled
- How food affect blood sugar
- Managed gestational diabetes by food and exercise alone, is it possible?
- Suggestions for adjusting diet
- How often someone may need to check their blood sugar
- Some of the common mistakes people make when trying to manage gestational diabetes
- If someone has gestational diabetes in one pregnancy, is she likely to have it in subsequent pregnancies?
- Final tips!
Lily Nichols is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition and exercise. Drawing from the current scientific literature and the wisdom of traditional cultures, her work is known for being research-focused, thorough, and sensible. Her bestselling book, Real Food for Gestational Diabetes (and online course of the same name), presents a revolutionary nutrient-dense, lower carb diet for managing gestational diabetes. Her unique approach has not only helped tens of thousands of women manage their gestational diabetes (most without the need for blood sugar-lowering medication), but has also influenced nutrition policies internationally.
Lily’s second book, Real Food for Pregnancy, is an evidence-based look at the gap between conventional prenatal nutrition guidelines and what’s optimal for mother and baby. With over 930 citations, this is the most comprehensive text on prenatal nutrition to date. Checkout out her website, www.realfoodforpregnancy.com
Lily is also creator of the popular blog, www.LilyNicholsRDN.com, which explores a variety of topics related to real food, mindful eating, and pregnancy nutrition.
Connect with Lily:
Insta and Twitter: @lilynicholsRDN @nicholsnutrition