I recently stumbled into the system known as “Fair Play” and I thought it was really interesting. You’ve likely heard of it too, it’s a documentary, it’s a book, and it’s a deck of cards. The best way I can describe it, is that it’s a system to help honor and value your partner’s needs and time. I thought it was really interesting and particularly valuable to the YBB audience so I found a fair play facilitator and therapist to speak to me about this system.
In this week’s episode of Yoga| Birth| Babies I speak with marriage and family therapist as well as Fair Play facilitator Lucinda gibbons. Lucinda goes through the Fair Play methodology for us. We talk about the 4 main rules of Fair Play and how using Fair Play improves communication in relationships. This isn’t exclusive to just partnered relationships either, it can be used for any relationship, a work relationship, a roommate relationship, anyone you’re interacting with. It’s about communication, seeing each other for who you are, your values, and honoring and valuing each other’s time. I really enjoyed this so I think you are going to get a lot out of it as well.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Lucina and what led her towards Marriage and Family Therapy.
- What sparked Lucinda’s interest in Fair Play.
- What Fair Play is.
- How using Fair Play improves communication in relationships.
- The 4 main rules of Fair play.
- As a Fair Play therapist, how Lucinda works these principles into her work with couples.
- The importance of language in the Fair Play system.
- How the Fair Play system recommends tackling the division of housework.
- An explanation of “unicorn space”.
- Ways to make this system more inclusive as the system seems fairly heteronormative.
- One final tip/piece of advice Lucinda would like to offer new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Lucinda’s work.
Lucinda Gibbons (she/her) holds a Master’s in Marriage and Family Therapy (University of Southern California), a certificate in Perinatal Mental Health (Postpartum Support International), and is a Certified Facilitator and the Assistant Trainer for The Fair Play Method. Lucinda specializes in working with men, especially during the perinatal period and around career advancement, and with couples using Fair Play to create more gender equity at home. Other areas of interest for Lucinda include supporting LGBTQIA+ people and their families, working with parents of anxious teens, mindfulness and values work, and running her Birth Process Groups. Lucinda works primarily virtually but is based just north of Boston where she lives with her toddler and senior rescue dog.
Connect with Lucinda:
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
- If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies (Apple) or on Spotify!
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center