Diastasis recti and the pelvic floor have fortunately become part of the conversation in prenatal and postpartum wellness. With knowledge comes power, confidence and choices. Pregnant folks and new parents are no longer in the dark about what is happening to their body and can take an active role in helping to restore and heal postpartum.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, it is my great pleasure to speak with women’s health and fitness specialist and founder of Core Exercise Solutions, Dr. Sarah Duvall. Sarah and I geek out and talk about diastasis recti, causes of it, and ways people may unknowingly inhibit their healing. Sarah also explains common pelvic floor misunderstandings.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn a bit about Sarah and how she ended up specializing in perinatal physical therapy.
- What is diastasis recti?
- What can cause diastasis?
- What can inhibit healing of diastasis?
- The role genetics play in the healing of diastasis.
- Posture and diastasis.
- How posture affects the pelvic floor
- The connection between diastasis and the function of the pelvic floor.
- What to do if you have BOTH diastasis and pelvic floor issues. (What to work on first!)
- Common misunderstandings in healing diastasis and finding balance in the pelvic floor.
- One final tip/piece of advice Sarah offers new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Sarah’s work!
About Dr. Sarah Duvall:
A wife, mom and adventure sports athlete, Sarah is a women’s health and fitness specialist and founder of Core Exercise Solutions, a center for continuing education for professionals and online programs to help women. When she is not hanging off the side of a mountain, Sarah enjoys writing and presenting at http://www.CoreExerciseSolutions.com and figuring out how her patients can continue to pursue their dreams and lead a strong, adventurous life.
Connect with Dr. Duvall:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drsarahduvall/
Support Our Sponsors:
- Hello Fresh: America’s #1 meal kit! Go to HelloFresh.com/ybb14 and use code ybb14 for up to 14 free meals AND 3 free gifts!
- Somfy: Learn more about Somfy powered motorized window coverings, or connect with a Somfy dealer in your area to get a customized quote for your home by visiting somfysystems.com/podcast
- Boober: Looking for a lactation support, birth doulas, mental health therapists, and postpartum doulas. Use the code PYC to get 10% off your first service atwww.getboober.com
And don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center