Part of parenting is learning through mistakes. Personally, I could write a book on the missteps I’ve taken despite thinking I’m doing the right thing in the moment.
Jenny Best, founder, and CEO of Solid Starts, and mom of three explains how her errors and anxiety about feeding her first child opened the door to understanding and emerging as an expert in baby-led weaning.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, Jenny shares her path from the stage as a ballerina for New York City Ballet to becoming a food and farming expert. She explains how baby-led weaning can make mealtime and family life so much less stressful and pave the way to more adventurous eaters. Learn the difference between choking and gagging, the best “first” foods for your child, and introducing food allergens. Say goodbye to bland rice cereal!
In this episode:
- Learn a bit about Jenny’s path to starting Solid Starts
- What does baby-led weaning mean?
- The benefits of baby-led weaning
- How to know when your baby is ready to be introduced to solids with baby lead weaning.
- What is tongue thrust?
- Different methods of introducing solids.
- How did rice cereal become the first food for many?
- Recommended first foods to start with.
- Starting finger foods.
- Choking hazards- does everything really need to be pureed?
- Preventing picky eaters.
- The difference between gagging and choking?
- Food allergies and when to introduce food allergens?
- One tip or piece of advice Jenny has for new and expectant parents
- Where you can find Jenny’s work!
About Jenny Best, Founder and CEO of Solid Starts:
A mom of three, including fraternal twins, Jenny is a food and farming expert and communications strategist. Prior to the world of food, she served in Mike Bloomberg’s mayoral administration and was a professional ballerina with the New York City Ballet. Jenny lives in Brooklyn, where she currently neglects over 30 edible plants on her rooftop.
- Follow Jenny on instagram, @solidstarts
- For her First Foods Database, programs and more visit solidstarts.com
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
instagram & facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center