Did you know that pregnant BIack people are 3-4 times more likely to die from complications during childbirth than White people? ?
In New York (where PYC is based) this rate is even higher, with pregnant Black pregnant people 12 times more likely to die than their white counterparts. This shocking disparity exists for BIPOC people at all income and education levels.
Which is why we offer a scholarship for BIPOC Teacher Trainees. Scholarships will be awarded to applicants for all ONLINE and NYC based 85 Prenatal Yoga Teacher Trainings.
We are committed to listening and being part of systemic change. We have two visions behind this scholarship.
First, in creating this scholarship, we hope to make prenatal yoga and all its benefits more accessible for all.
Secondly, we recognize the lack of diversity in our teaching team. In an effort to best serve our whole community, it is important for our teaching team to better represent all members of the community itself. We understand that when a teacher reflects on their students, there is better cultural understanding and therefore deeper trust.
We strive to make our teaching community a more welcoming and inclusive space for all.
At Prenatal Yoga Center there are two options to continue your studies. In both these paths, you’ll have direct access to your mentor s we work to hone your skills and confidence as a prenatal and postnatal yoga teacher. Together we will work to help you continue to carve out your niche in your community as the go-to prenatal yoga expert and fill your classes.
While Caprice and I are here to offer you supportive guidance and feedback, we will also push you to take your prenatal yoga teaching even deeper to find mastery. In both programs, you will be teaching and getting direct feedback which can make you more cognizant of areas you can improve upon.
Recipients will be rewarded a maximum of a $500 scholarship.
This scholarship is intended for applicants who:
- Identify as a BIPOC
- Have completed a minimum of a 200-hour yoga teacher training
- Have a consistent yoga practice and desire to teach
- Are able to commit to all scheduled dates and times of the training program
- Optional, schedule and take a 10 minute welcome call with Deb
- Review all 4 modules and watch the corresponding videos
- Participate in webinars with Deb or view them at a later time
- Complete the book list
- Complete all written assignments
- Complete both weekend intensives with Deb and Caprice
- Audit a local childbirth education class
- Complete final written exam
- Record 75 minute prenatal yoga class with at least 3 pregnant women and send to Prenatal Yoga Center