Today we’re talking about Spinning Babies® and Birthing from Within®, two of my favorite birth methodologies. I’m currently doing my parent educator certification with Spinning Babies® and several years ago I embarked on the Birthing from Within® mentor program so they’re both near and dear to my heart. I truly believe in these two methodologies.
To discuss how we can use these two seemingly different methodologies that actually have a lot of underlying similarities as we approach childbirth education and how parents can use a lot of this thinking a lot of these principles and apply it to their birth I invited doula, bodyworker, and educator Jamie Mossay onto Yoga| Birth| Babies. It’s really exciting how process focused instead of outcome focused these two methodologies are so Jamie has a lot to say about this and I’m really excited for you to hear it.
Jamie is a delight to talk to, she has such in depth knowledge about both these methodologies and how they can serve and support you as a pregnant person but also I think this is going to speak a lot to birth workers as well so I’m really excited for you to hear this conversation.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Jamie and how she ended up in the birth world.
- Birthing from Within® and Spinning Babies®, a little background on each of their approaches and philosophies.
- What Jamie draws from each methodology that she incorporates into her childbirth education classes?
- How Birthing from Within® and Spinning Babies® are often more Process-Focused rather than Outcome-Focused, with the idea that we can influence the birth process, but we cannot control it.
- How Birthing from Within® and Spinning Babies® are often more Solution-Focused rather than Problem Focused and how that differs from a more traditional childbirth education approach.
- How both Birthing from Within® and Spinning Babies® value asking different questions, and creating new (and honoring ancient) maps for the journey of birth.
- One final tip Jamie offers new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Jamie’s work and what she’s you presenting at the Spinning Babies® Confluence.
Jamie Mossay (she/her) has been serving the San Diego community as a massage therapist/bodyworker for over 20 years and started attending births as a doula in 2009. She is a mother, Birth Story Listener®, Certified Birthing From Within® Mentor and Facilitator, and a Spinning Babies® Aware Practitioner and Instructor. She is the creator of the DANCES® approach to prenatal bodywork and Birthing From Within’s Touch From Within course, a co-author (with Nicole Morales) and illustrator of The Breech Release: Opening Pathways for Midwifery and Prenatal Bodywork, and co-creator of the Spinning Babies Online Course Breech for Parents and Practitioners.
Connect with Jamie:
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
- If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center