14 Jul The New York Milk Bank with Julie Bouchet-Horwitz, FNP, IBCLC
In this episode of Yoga | Birth | Babies, I speak with founder of the The New York Milk Bank, Julie Bouchet-Horwitz, FNP, IBCLC. Julie explains how milk banks work, how those who want to donate can, and how babies who need for breastmilk can receive it.
What we discus:
- How Julie got started working with the New York Milk Bank.
- What is a milk bank?
- How the NY milk bank got started.
- How donors are screened and approved.
- Once the milk bank receives the donated milk, the process it goes through before a baby can receive it.
- What makes a baby eligible for receiving milk from the milk bank.
- Is donated breastmilk only for babies in the hospital or can babies at home receive donated milk?
- How someone would go about getting the milk they need.
- Is this covered by insurance?
- Options of those who do not have the funds to pay for this service.
- If someone is interested in donating, what is the process they go through?
- Other states offering this service?
- How the milk gets picked up and dropped off.
- How people find out more about getting involved in the NY Milk bank?
- Benefits of breastmilk compared to formula.
Julie Bouchet-Horwitz is a nurse practitioner and international board-certified lactation consultant (IBCLC). She is the founder and Executive Director of The New York Milk Bank and has a private practice specializing in breastfeeding in Irvington, NY. She formed a team of 5 women who over 3 years developed the New York Milk Bank which officially opened its doors in September 2016 n Hastings-on-Hudson, New York .
Julie is the past president of the Westchester Putnam Rockland Lactation Consortium, the tri-county professional lactation organization.. She has published articles on breastfeeding for Mothering Magazine, and the peer-review journals of Clinical Lactation, and ICAN: Infant Children and Adolescent Nutrition.
Connect with The New York Milk Bank
on instagram: @thenewyorkmilkbank
on twitter: @newyorkmilkbank
on facebook: facebook.com/NYMilkBank
I’d love to know what you think and who you’d like to have come on the podcast! Write a review and send a screenshot to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be entered for a 1 month supply of Susie’s Smart Cookies!