06 May All About Breastfeeding’s Lori Isenstadt
In this episode of Yoga | Birth | Babies, I speak with IBCLC, Lori Isenstadt, from the podcast, All About Breastfeeding. Lori breaks down some of the misconceptions about the first few days of breastfeeding and offers honest and practical information for anyone looking to breastfeeding their newborn. She also discusses the role of a lactation consultant and what one can expect from this working relationship.
In this episode:
- How Lori went from doula and birth supporter to lactation consultant and podcaster.
- What mothers should expect the first 5 days with a breastfeeding baby
- The importance of a good latch.
- What a good latch looks like and feels like.
- Pain during breastfeeding, is that normal or is it a sign of a problem?
- Common problems a new breastfeeding women may encounter.
- Common breastfeeding positions.
- The realm of normal for weight gain or weight loss in the first few days.
- Red flags one identify if breastfeeding is not going well.
- Hiring a lactation consultant, what does a typical visit look like?
- Resources for someone that may not be able to afford a private lactation consultant.
- Preparing for the first several months at home.
- Final tips for new parents whether they are breastfeeding or not.
Lori Jill Isenstadt, IBCLC is a huge breastfeeding supporter. She has spent much of her adult life working in the maternal health field. Once she became turned on to birth and became a childbirth educator, there was no stopping her love of working with families during their childbearing years.
Lori became a Birth doula and a Postpartum doula and soon became a lactation consultant. She has been helping moms and babies with breastfeeding for over 25 years. Lori founded her private practice, All About Breastfeeding where she meets with moms one on one to help solve their breastfeeding challenges. She is an international speaker, book author and the host of the popular itunes podcast, All About Breastfeeding, the place where the girls hang out.
The New Mother Survival Guide – Practical tips for the new mother.
Cliff Notes: So many new parents don’t realize how much help they actually need in the early days of parenting. People will say that the early days are hard and tiring. But you don’t really know what that means, how to prepare for it, and what you will need. I cover all these topics in my book so you can have a smooth transition from pregnancy to postpartum and relax and enjoy your time home with your new baby.
You can buy the book on Lori’s website: Allaboutbreastfeeding.biz