30 Jun Pain for a Purpose in Childbirth with Dr. Judith Lothian
In this episode of Yoga | Birth | Babies, I speak with author and Lamaze Program Co-Director, Dr. Judith Lothian. We explore the idea of pain for a purpose in childbirth. Dr Lothian offers her insight as to how women can use the pain of labor to inform their body how to move, moan and get lost in “nature’s narcotic,” Please enjoy!
In today’s Episode:
- How Dr. Lothian got started on the path to being a childbirth educator.
- Her deep involvement with the Lamaze Institute.
- The three major hormones of labor and their role in ensuring labor functions well.
- How pain is central to the natural design of childbirth.
- Helping women to trust the pain and listen to their body’s desire to move, moan, and breathe.
- What happens when we take the pain away, does that hinder the progress of labor?
- Exploring an article Dr Lothian wrote, “In a very real sense, the pain of each contraction becomes a guide for the laboring woman.”
- The difference between pain and suffering in childbirth.
- How a woman can identify pain that is purposeful rather than that which may indicate back labor or that something is wrong.
- Ideas and advice for a woman who is overwhelmed by the fear of pain in labor.
About Dr. Lothian:
Judith Lothian, Ph.D., R.N.,FAAN Graduate Chair and Professor – Graduate Dept. Seton Hall University
Dr. Lothian has been a maternal/child nurse, childbirth educator, and an advocate for birthing women for over 4 decades. The focus of her practice has been childbirth education. She is currently the Chair of the Certification Council for Lamaze International that is responsible for developing the international certification examination for Lamaze certified childbirth educators. She is also the Associate Editor of the Journal of Perinatal Education and write a regular column for the JPE. Her advocacy work includes national leadership positions in Lamaze International and national work with Childbirth Connection, the American College of Nurse Midwives,and the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services.
Dr. Lothian is the co-author of The Official Lamaze Guide: Giving Birth with Confidence.
Her research interests are breastfeeding and childbirth. She is currently completing a qualitative research study of the experience of home birth for women and their midwives.
Connect with Dr. Lothian: