Author: Deb

20 Dec My Impressions of the First Trimester

My doctor warned me that my first trimester would probably be difficult. I didn't really fully comprehend what that would mean. Most of the students that I encounter at the Prenatal Yoga Center are in their second or third trimester. We do...

Read More

03 Dec The Importance of Continuous Labor Support

Whenever I tell people that I "moonlight" as a labor support doula, they say "a what???" A labor support doula- a woman that offers continuous physical and emotional support to a laboring woman. Even after that explanation, I still often receive slightly confused...

Read More

11 Nov Amniotomy: To Break or Not to Break!

Approximately 10% of women will have their water break before the onset of labor. So for the other 90% out there, they will either face the choice of an amniotomy (breaking of the amniotic sac) or have their membranes rupture on their own, called spontaneous...

Read More

02 Nov Strong Amniotic Sac, Less Likely To Rupture

The idea for this blog came to fruition in a very round-about way. Tara, a friend of mine, is hoping to have a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) with her upcoming baby. She wanted to know what she could do to help increase...

Read More

07 Oct New Policy Now Supports VBAC (Vaginal Births After Cesarean)

VBACs, also known as Vaginal Birth After Cesarean, have been a hot topic over the past several months. Back in March of 2010, the NIH (National Institute of Health) held a conference Vaginal Birth After Cesarean: New Insights, which offered a substantial amount of research...

Read More